Production of Vaquero and Blackhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It's kind of looking that way.

Other than the occasional box of defensive rounds, I haven't even seen any standard .44 Special ammo on the shelves in a long time. At least in my neck of the woods anyhow.

Rclark

Hunter
I haven't even seen any standard .44 Special ammo on the shelves in a long time. At least in my neck of the woods anyhow.
The .44 Special is really a reloader's cartridge. So most people that use the .44 Special also reload. That's my suspicion anyway of why manufactures don't make much .44 Special ammo. Just checked Star Line Brass and they evidently can't keep it in stock as it 'backordered'.

I may also be wrong, but I think most people that wanted a .44 Special/.45 Colt Flattop have them. We all jumped on them when they were introduced. Like me I have a couple of each which will last a life-time.... As for Vaqueros, I do have a .44 Special Sheriff, but would like a .44 Special 5 1/2" New Vaquero as well. That one seems to be 'scarce'. Point is, not sure what the demand is out there for .44 Special and .45 Colt New Vaqueros is today.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
I haven't seen a rapid decline in CAS, rather a slow decline over a number of years. As for Ruger single action production, I saw it reported on the SASS wire, that Vaqueros are beginning to be made again. I don't know what calibers, but highly doubt 44 special. Probably 357 followed by 45 colt. Haven't heard anything about Blackhawks.

375supermag

Blackhawk
I for one am looking forward to new BlackHawks in .45Colt and .44Spl, not opposed to new Vaqueros, either.

There's always plenty for sale online at one of the online auction sites (there's a few) or other gun forums. I think the fact that Ruger isn't churning them out to flood the market is the only thing keeping at least a little value in these revolvers. I remember when $600-700 could buy any flavor we wanted, but preowned didn't fetch more than $350 which is on par with the polymer pistols. I think these Ruger SA revolvers are relatively well-made and are finally selling for what I always thought they were worth. Freedom Arms they're not, but at distances shorter than fifty yards it doesn't matter and they have a whole lot of character at a fourth the cost of a FA. The fact that Ruger hasn't been making any lately probably means they've done their homework on the market. Just my 2¢ worth.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Gun manufacturers do it for profit. So they build, using their existing work force, to built what is currently in demand. These days, it is plastic personal defense guns that are cheap to build and profitable to sell. We as consumers want variety but steel guns are probably less profitable than what they are making.

Just my opinion.

Rclark

Hunter
.45acp is by far my favorite cartridge in single actions. I'm surprised it isn't more popular.
Well, ... from my point of view ... the 9mm and .45 ACP really don't belong in revolvers. They are for semi-auto and full auto guns. I suspect that is why you don't see them as popular. Use the cartridge in the guns it was designed for. As a reloader there isn't even a 'reason' to fiddle with .45 ACP, as loading for .45 Colt is about the same as for .45 ACP cost wise, but the .45 Colt has way more versatility. With the large case capacity you can load slow to fast powders under light to heavy bullets for a very wide range of purposes. Win Win and Win for .45 Colt. Only when you turn to commercial ammunition does .45 ACP become a possible attraction for cheaper plinking. The .41 Magnum has much more reason to be in a revolver than .45 ACP.... Even though IMO, the .41 is just one of those 'why' cartridges when you have the .429 and .357 on either side of it...

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I think the reason many Blackhawk Convertibles are popular is because if you shoot .45acp in anything else other than a Ruger SA, you now have that capability. Shooting 45lc is fine, but many people have set ups for reloading .45acp and 9mm because they are extremely popular in may shooting events, so it just allows a person to use a set up(loading) they already have, in a SA revolver, to provide another avenue for shooting. IMHO

I know we've strayed from the OP's topic, but I have two Ruger SA revolvers in 45ACP (one native to the gun and the other was a cylinder I picked up for my 45Colt), and I must say I have been pleasantly surprised at just how accurate they are. There's no way I can ever sell these now just due to accuracy alone! Having said that, I think more buyers would (should) be interested in buying convertible models when given the opportunity.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I know we've strayed from the OP's topic, but I have two Ruger SA revolvers in 45ACP (one native to the gun and the other was a cylinder I picked up for my 45Colt), and I must say I have been pleasantly surprised at just how accurate they are. There's no way I can ever sell these now just due to accuracy alone! Having said that, I think more buyers would (should) be interested in buying convertible models when given the opportunity.
I have been trying to find a 9mm cylinder for my OM Blackhawk .357. When I find one the price is so outlandish, I just throw up my hands and say NO.

jack black

Blackhawk
I haven't seen a rapid decline in CAS, rather a slow decline over a number of years. As for Ruger single action production, I saw it reported on the SASS wire, that Vaqueros are beginning to be made again. I don't know what calibers, but highly doubt 44 special. Probably 357 followed by 45 colt. Haven't heard anything about Blackhawks.
SASS is full of the oldest shooters The owners all left at once ,SASS moved to a small rural town estimates are that maybe 20,000 members left with half of that active at shooting.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
SASS is full of the oldest shooters The owners all left at once ,SASS moved to a small rural town estimates are that maybe 20,000 members left with half of that active at shooting.
I belonged years ago. Like many sports it got out of hand, every one spending more and more to outdo the other guy. It got to the point if you didn't have real Colts & Winchesters they looked down on you. I had Colts & a Winchester and a double rig by Brown out of Tombstone, Called Johnny Behind the Deuce! Beautiful rig. Sold it all and moved on. Now I have Rugers , Rossi's and a Marlin. Just as happy.

NightSailor

Bearcat
I have an opportunity to buy a 3.5" birdshead New Vaquero SS in 45 acp. I see dual cylinder versions. Which begs the question…can you add an extra cylinder with little effort? Could I borrow a cylinder from another New Vaquero?

Latest posts