Problematic Mini 14 I once owned.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dueeast

Bearcat
NJ (where the govt. knows whats best for you)
Bought a brand new Mini 14 Ranch (stainless/wood) back in 2001. I had a re-occuring problem. The bolt handle would not stay on the receiver track (sorry for terminology) when I shot it. It seemed to work fine when I manually manipulated it but after 3 or 4 shots, I literally would come apart while shooting it. I sent it back to Ruger, and after I got it back , it happened again. I packed it up and went directly from the range to a dealer and traded it for a Bushamster. I've always wondered, was this somewhat common? Maybe a recall I didn't know about? or did I just get a lemon?

X - Man

Bearcat
"Was this somewhat common?" IMO; no. It's a problem that is not seen very often. Too bad Ruger C/S didn't perform better back then.

Could have been that one of the internal parts was reversed in position (buffer guide rod). But Ruger should have corrected that easily.

It could of been a problem related to the fit of the parts, in your case there may have been a serious mismatch/misalignment. This kind of sloppyness is where the poor reputation of Ruger's Mini came from. Ruger should have made it right. Remember though, that was in the past. Today most see a better made rifle and much better follow through from Ruger C/S.

Should you ever get a chance give the new Mini a try. It's a great sturdy little carbine that's a lot of fun to shot.

That's a first for me and I've read over the past few years of all kinds of problems.... but never that one

I think I would have called Ruger and gave them a piece of my mind. Just don't sound right.