Problem with SR 556 Takedown sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ian03741

Bearcat
Back in April I picked up an SR 556 Takedown. Over all I like it but have had trouble zeroing the iron sights. While the windage is fine it consistently hits low (2 to 3 in) at less than 50 yards. At 75 yards it's much closer to the bulls eye but the front sight post is as low as it will go. Ruger has sent me a new front sight which gave me the same results. I had similar results when swapping the sights out with my friends AR. I did have some improvement when I moved the front sight off of the gas block and onto the front most position of the upper. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I can hit the center of the target at short range but have to place the front sight post completely over the target. Any advice or info is appreciated. Thanks.

DocGlock

Bearcat
Since you have a spare sight, on one of them, file the tip of the post down a little.

Ian03741

Bearcat
That thought had crossed my mind. I wasn't sure if that was a viable option or if there is something else going on. I'd rather not go through the hassle of sending it back for servicing.

Why is it that most ARs do not have an elevation adjustment on the rear sight like most other rifles?