Problem with New Model Blackhawk .357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bolo1000_0

Bearcat
Hello all,

My name is Terry.

My Blackhawk had a problem when I fired it the first time. Usually one out of six shots would not dent the primer enough to fire the round. It did not happen on the same cylinder position each tme. I have since replaced the firing pin, but have not shot the weapon since. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? The gun is in perfect shape, it dosen't appear to show excessive wear. It was produced in 1973 according to the serial number.

Thanks, Terry

I'd check the firing pin "protrusion" ( how far in comes out,into the frames "widow") as well as the mainspring, that is the more common problem ,issue, guys are always changing them out and shortening them up to make them "lighter", ergo "misfires"......

then too, the chambers, are they clean? the cartridge fully 'seated'? and the ammo of cousre, are they reloads?

good luck

Pal Val

Buckeye
If you're getting light strikes, it won't be because of the trigger spring (the one with two legs). Perhaps someone substituted a lighter main spring and didn't polish the strut, guide, hammer sides and pin(or screw, if it's an old model). The gun comes with a heavy spring to overcome friction in the action. Get rid of the friction, and the lighter spring most likely will do OK.

If the gun went unused from 1973 to now, the other cause may have been dried gunk holding back the firing pin. Happens to guns put away for a long time.

What type of ammo are you using? A couple of years ago, I got hold of some cheap 38 special ammo that caused inconsistant ignition problems with some revolvers. Close inspection showed the rims to be uneven with some much too thin causing the case base to be too far from the recoil shield and firing pin. Some of the ammo on the market today is pretty poor quality even name brand stuff.