Problem with .45 Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Ok, I took a trip to the range yesterday and started out with some bottom feeders to warm up, but then went on to a 4" GP100. After not having been to the range in a long time I was reminded of the accuracy, balance and handling of these little revolvers. 8)

I then took out the .45 Blackhawk which hasn't been shot enough lately, and this is where it all fell apart. I was using some full power H-110 loads. Shot after shot went right through the bullseye.

So here's my problem, after 4-5 shots out of one of these, how do you tell where the bullet hits?

Anyway, I was just blown away again by how accurate and how fun the .45 Blackhawks can be with the right loads! :D

Rclark

Hunter
So here's my problem, after 4-5 shots out of one of these, how do you tell where the bullet hits?
Move the target from 10 feet to say ... 25 yards? 50 yards? :p . Start shooting from off hand rather than a ransom rest? :p .

TDF

Single-Sixer
Try a 100yds. If you've got a good accurate revolver (and it sounds like you do). It's pretty easy to amaze the unknowing by shooting a decent group with a iron sighted pistol. My most accurate is a 4" S&W 657 41 mag. I've outshot ironsighted rifle shooters at 100yds. Plus it's great practice and makes the closer shooting seem easy.

TDF

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Thanks Guys, real helpful :p

This is actually a Blackhawk I've put some considerable work into and sighting in at 100yrds to replace my old SBH for hog hunting. The range I was at yesterday only went out to 25 yards, and you're right, going back to a closer distance after only shooting 100yrds just blows me away.

Now... my one handed shots were lucky to hit the black...

louiethelump

Buckeye
Then that is what you need to be working on. Doing what you do best may be fun for awhile, but true improvement as a shooter and a person requires to work on your weak areas.

Have to agree with you about blackhawks. They shoot great.

Louie

Ruber

Single-Sixer
louiethelump":1fih40l0 said:
Then that is what you need to be working on. Doing what you do best may be fun for awhile, but true improvement as a shooter and a person requires to work on your weak areas.

Have to agree with you about blackhawks. They shoot great.

Louie

Yep, I still need to work on everything. I was shooting with some folks that shoot IPSC competitions and they're in a totally different league! One guy shot my Blackhawk and it really was impossible to count the different holes after 3 shots.

Just after shooting semi-autos and a DA revolver, that old SA sure shot nicely!

gobe

Bearcat
Ruber":3tg6bp3s said:
Just settle down, concentrate ..... that'll reduce the flinching and get you back on the paper!

Just kidding. My ol' Service buddy and I used to play 'games'. One day, I put one dead center ... second shot enlarged the hole a tad. I put the rest of the shots off the paper and had him going for a while. Didn't take him long to figure it out. He was as devious as me.

Just got back from a long overdue visit with him and his wife down in Tennessee last week. As usual, we went out shooting and I finally got to try his old model .45LC Vaquero. Sweet shooting iron! Couldn't figure a way to beat him out of it, so may have to keep an eye out for one. They sure are nice and can see why they're hard to find.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
LOL, lots of grins in this thread! Reminds me of a 4" group I got at 140 yds one day with a 10" Flattop .44. I was shooting off a bench with bags and a was using a proven load in perfect shootin' light. But since I could never seem to shoot quite as good a group again with it at that range, I was forced to realize it was more of an "act of God" than my ability! Just cherish that "one hole group" and show it to anybody you can as it'll likely be awhile 'til the next one comes around! (Sure makes the pursuit more fun when they do though huh?) :D

Dead Hogs

Bearcat
What load are you using? I am trying to work up a load for my son's new 45lc/45acp blackhawk for hogs and deer.

Thanks

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Dead Hogs,
Not sure of your location, many of the places I hunt require jacketed bullets or lead free. Here is a link to the jacketed load information I was using:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... highlight=
If you're not bound by regulations, lots of folks here have some great loads using cast bullets, check the ammo and reloading section.
If you need lead free, the load I am using currently used Barnes 250gr and was worked up by Brian Pearce in handloader magazine. I'm still not getting the accuracy out of those that I'd like, but the Barnes are so expensive, it's hard to get enough to really test loads out thoroughly.

Dead Hogs

Bearcat
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I hunt hogs and deer in SC and LA and the only conditions are daylight only, open year round. I am more interested in cast bullets, but whatever is accurate and deadly is what I will try to end up with. I bought a 500 count box of 255gr Magnus Keith style bullets when I bought the gun and it would be nice if those would work for everything.