Problem removing GP100 trigger group

Help Support Ruger Forum:

victor6

Bearcat
Howdy folks,

I can't seem to push the pin in that keeps the trigger group in the gun. I really would like to detail strip this GP100 that I just acquired so that I can give it a good cleaning. Any ideas / tips / tricks on pushing the pin in? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Victor

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
Try using a small screw driver that will fit in the access slot. I found that it is almost impossible to use the spring assembly. You need something more substantial. Use firm and steady pressure to push the pin down while simultaneously pulling out on the trigger group. Don't expect to be able to push the pin in and then pull the trigger group out. It doesn't seem to work that way. Simultaneous is key. Good luck

Victor, the first couple of times you do this its nice to have a "Ruger Popper" they don't make them anymore but you can make them yourself.
Try and contact GP100man over on the other Ruger forum (.net) he made some and was getting rid of them. Had some pictures. After you smooth things up it will come apart easier. Ruger should have sent one with every gun.
While you look around get a copy of Iowegans IBOK. Big help. I think once you get 10 posts there you can access the libary and download all of gary's IBOK's.
Eric

victor6

Bearcat
Thanks for the pointers. I'll be on the lookout for a Ruger Popper. At least I now know that I'm not the only one having problems with these things ...

Really appreciate your help!

Victor

GP100man

Buckeye
You can PM me rite here!!!

I use a screwdriver with 3/16 shaft detemper , fashion the "popper" then retemper the shaft .

$10.00 shipped in conus with confirmation#.

I sold some on .net site because a fellow was haveing problems , this tool will make it easier i promise!!

if the trigger asm hangs even after the plunger is depressed take the plunger out & remove a few.001s off the asm . so it does`nt jam into the frame.

OldCowHand

Bearcat
I have a Torx screwdriver that fits through the hole in the grip frame so I can get a straight shot at that plunger. The flat end of the screwdriver gives me a good surface to push with. Those plunger springs are stouter 'n' a brick ... ummm, very stout, but after the first couple of times I finally gained confidence that they would eventually yield to sufficient pressure applied in the proper direction.

opos

Buckeye
I use an allen wrench...the bent over top works to push against my hand...I also have a very small oiler (plastic bottle with a tiny tip on it)...I put a drop of oil around the area of the latch and it made it push in easier...after a few times apart it works much better...If you use a small screw driver be careful it doesn't slip and dig into your hand...voice of experience.

victor6

Bearcat
I received my popper from GP100man and ... it worked!!! Came out easily with no drama!!!

What a neat little tool.

Thanks again!

Victor