Probally a silly accuracy question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sig685

Single-Sixer
I know which sources you researched about Katrina, simply by your words, which I will quote for you here: "I was looking for a rifle that could serve as a defense tool especially in a post-Katrina/New Orleans scenario. I had been mislead to believe that AR15s were problematic on the one hand and mini-14's very inaccurate on the other."

I am surprised that a self-professed LEO would come to a board such as this to find out about the accuracy of a Mini-14 or the reliability of an AR-15. I can assure you that after Ike, when all power was out, we did not see an LEO for days. If your main rifle is indeed an AR-10 and you know how to use it, what in the hell are you carrying on about what you read on the Internet about the AR-15 and how it jams up solid every time?

Also, you truly did not understand what I meant by who is a first responder. We, as citizens and human beings, are all first responders. LEOs and EMTs, etc show up after the fact. When my friend's house had that huge branch go through the roof, no LEO showed up, we the neighborhood did. The LEO and the EMTs and FEMA and the county did not chop up the tree blocking the street, we the citizens did.

What is your view on the LEOs illegally disarming the citizens of New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina. Do you think that was a good use the so-called "first responders"?

A

Anonymous

Man how did you go from mini 14's to trashing the man about tolets and gernerators? There is nothing wrong with trying to research differant types of weapons to see what might be your best for home defence or when your out hiking out in the woods.. I have been reading the book the great new orleans gun grab and watching the news on haiti how the mobs go looting to get what they wont from who ever they chose from. I am glad you have all of what you think you need to survive, but if some disastor did hit your area weather or humans rioting it would be nice to have all the protection you need at your finger tips. 22's are good squirrel guns or what a lot of hitmen use to walk up and shoot someone in the back of the head, but for home defence need to gun up with some real fire power. It's sad that notpars was just trying to get some info on balance and reliablity and you went off the deep end on something that nothing to do with anything..Show some respect...Thanks

NOTPARS

Bearcat
After finishing my post on Friday, I wondered if you would respond like a man, wipe the egg off your face, and apologize when you realized with embarassment that you behaved like a no-class lout who had not been taught manners. Would you recognize that accusing someone you don't even know of acting out a specific novel-based fantasy scenario represents autobiographical projection typical of your personality type? Could you see that "Oh yeah, I bet I know more about..." bragging with regard to survival preparation is what adolescents do. I am talking with an adult...aren't I? As a forum member it seems inconceivable to me that you fail to grasp what a forum is about. Having read your angry blowhard posts, in your case this ignorance is believable People post ideas, mine was theoretical, in which to share and exchange ideas. It is also done to test one's theories for their validity. ALL the other posters figured this out and offered their opinions, pro and con, that helped me weigh and evaluate the theory. But you missed this and the reason why is you were looking, like a bully lacking in self-esteem, for a chance to mock and trash someone out. As someone who has been involved with firearms and shooting sports for years, when I encounter a novice or someone who knows nothing about firearms and so forth, and they ask an uninformed question, I don't jump on them with both boots as you would, I educate them just like people did for me when I was young. It allows your type to deal with some sort of inadequacy by feeling superior trashing someone else out. You have no idea what sources I researched for Katrina but assume you do because you are a blowhard. The post wasn't even about Katrina but in your rush to trash someone, you missed that. You missed the fact that I was modeling thinking for those who might not know much about mini-14s and AR-15s by explaining what I had heard from "knowledgeable sources" and what I had learned after making a few mistakes listening to such sources...like you. I am not a self-professed LEO, I served for many years putting my life on the line for citizens even those like you. As far as what LEO's did in New Orleans, you dishonor yourself with your disgraceful suggestion that LEO's where I worked, who put their lives on the line in forest fires, earthquakes, riots, and dealing with dirtbags day in and day out, did it without question and hesitation, and served proudly are like those in New Orleans. You should be ashamed of yourself for besmirching so many honorable self-sacrificing Americans that you don't even know...just so you rant and rave, making a fool of yourself on this forum. As far as "first responsders" go, what did we call the policemen and firemen in New York after the towers collapsed genius? During my years in law enforcement, I encountered people like you more than a few times. My heart goes out to your family. If you grow up and want to act like a man and not a child who simply wants to insult, offend, and fight with others, I'll be happy to discuss this with you but for now you are not worth the waste of time.

NOTPARS

Bearcat
Thanks, SIG685 just doesn't get it and he can't because he is too intent on picking a fight than engaging in an intelligent discussion on firearms. Various companies that specicialize in accurizing the mini14 claim that stabilizing its thin barrel is paramount to improving its accuracy. SIG wouldn't understand that I already have a mini-14 and was simply theorizing on alternative ways to accomplish that task...something people with creative minds do. I read an inteview with one man who took his family out of harms' way after a natural disaster, on foot, and his observations on the burden posed by the weight of the ammo he carried. He had an AR15. For middle-aged old pugs like me, several hundred rounds of 7.62x51mm might become problematic.

For those who were wondering about my answer to SIG685's question, when I was a police officer in the Bay area in California, our chief ordered us when asked by citizens if they should acquire a firearm for self protection to tell them, "No, we can protect you." Not only did I refuse that order, I also wrote a letter to the editor, printed in its entirety, blasting the city's ban on gun stores in the city limits and then their ban on semiautomatic rifles. I risked my life on the street and killed my career in the department with those actions. Now, if ordered, during a natural or man-made disaster, would I seize the private arms of citizens? NO WAY!

yotebuster

Bearcat
I had a mini-14. It really was nothing too special, as the dampener was nice to look at, but nothing more.

The barrel is only "heavy" from the gas block outward. I load different bullets for different applications, and for each load (same bullet weight), very noticable and dramatic differences in groupings AND placement. Tried the same loads with bolt guns and this did not happen.

Further, it was intended to be 'yote gun. So I got rid of it last year. Missed the reliable action, so I bought a new Ranch mini. I am proud to day that I am happy with the sights, although I trimmed and notched the front sight. I am getting 2 to 2.5" groups at 100 yards and for some goofy reason, the 1:9 barrel doesn't seem to mind 40 grainers or bulk 55's. It is a little picky with 36 gr varmint grenades, so I use 'em in the bolt gun.

Got two 'yotes on the weekend, the second was due to the quick mini action and 'ol iron sights.

I'm a happy camper and totally happy with my decision to dump the target. :D

NOTPARS

Bearcat
That is great to hear. I believe one of the problems with the mini is that as the barrel heats up, it begins to string shots. What I was trying to get across in my post is that I spend money I could have saved by doing more research. For example, I wanted a mini-14 as a self-defense type .223 but had heard it was not accurate. Instead of investigating alternatives, I found someone in Texas who built accurate minis. ARS built my 9 pound+ rifle with a Walther Lothar SS barrel, changed the gas block, different trigger, etc. and it groups at about .5 at 100 meters. It is behind accurate. But what to do with it? It is heavy and not designed as a self defense type firearm. What I should have done is take the mission profile I had established and then weighed the various choices against that profile. I would have realized that an AR was a better fit. That doesn't mean the mini does not have its uses or that I still don't like them. Accuracy of 1.5 to 3 inches at 100 meters for a combat gun is good.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
NOTPARS":30aidq48 said:
That is great to hear. I believe one of the problems with the mini is that as the barrel heats up, it begins to string shots. What I was trying to get across in my post is that I spend money I could have saved by doing more research. For example, I wanted a mini-14 as a self-defense type .223 but had heard it was not accurate. Instead of investigating alternatives, I found someone in Texas who built accurate minis. ARS built my 9 pound+ rifle with a Walther Lothar SS barrel, changed the gas block, different trigger, etc. and it groups at about .5 at 100 meters. It is behind accurate. But what to do with it? It is heavy and not designed as a self defense type firearm. What I should have done is take the mission profile I had established and then weighed the various choices against that profile. I would have realized that an AR was a better fit. That doesn't mean the mini does not have its uses or that I still don't like them. Accuracy of 1.5 to 3 inches at 100 meters for a combat gun is good.

Accuracy Systems put a .750 (to .625 diameter @ muzzle) 16" threaded barrel on my Mini, new gas block and some other work. The 100 yd test target shows .545 @ 100 yds with Remington 45 grain JHP. I went to the range today and using Ultramax 52 grain BTHP reloads stayed well under 1" and no wandering. The gun is very portable and I think would meet anyone's portability requirements. I have a factory folder also but being in CA can't use the damn thing.

Have to say, with the pencil barrel my particular Mini was easily the most inaccurate rifle I've ever owned in about 40 years of shooting - 4" @ 50 yds, wandering POI. As much as I like them, I would have dumped it. I probably wouldn't have paid the fare (about $600.00) for the work, but having a boss who shoots, got the Accuracy Works as a quarterly bonus.

miniman

Single-Sixer
my 2 cents the mini14 is a good gun stock most shoot 2 to 4 inch at 100 yards. with a little american nohow you can build a strut for around 25.00 and shoot 1 moa or less my mini will shoot an inch with cheap brown bear ammo we shoot coyotes all year long out to 150 yards.its one of the most reliable and fun guns it does not crap where it eats either so constant lube isnt a must the gun sure seems to get a bad rep it doesent deserve

NOTPARS

Bearcat
thanks for a great report. I had good luck with the ARS too. I have read that when the mini's barrel heats up, which is after 5 rounds, that is when the accuracy problems start. I used to live in California, the Bay area. I feel for you.

NOTPARS

Bearcat
You know a lot more about this than I do so if you have the time, could you explain how the strut works and what it looks like? Any mini shooting 2 to 3 inches even at 100 yards will do the trick for me. I wasn't looking for a tack driver, just a good solid "self-defense" rifle in the .223 caliber. I paid $590 for my mini out the door so a $25 dollar investment would be great. Thanks for the post.

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
http://www.accu-strut.com/

I bought a used Mini and it came with it, apparently the person that owned it before must have had accuracy problems, in this case shooting low. I have tested the accu-strut to a certain extent and in my case it just seems to make the rifle look like a Mini-M-14 (as originally named). I'll have to cure the sight problem first and go from there.

I would like to see what a homemade version consists of or looks like. Anyone with a homemade version please post a pic, I would REALLY like to see how it compares.