Pristine Versus Patina

Help Support Ruger Forum:

feathers73

Bearcat
A lot of us, including myself, search for that old blackhawk that is mint. But on the other hand, I can really appreciate an old shooter that has developed its share of wear honestly from just being used or carried. I seem to enjoy a slightly worn gun more sometimes as I enjoy it without worrying about messing it up with a nick or ding. The patina of an old Ruger can be a beautiful thing.

Axehandle

Buckeye
IMHO Patina is that seeming standard blue wear on the left side of the muzzle... A little bare metal shining through on the leading edge of the cylinder and the ejector shroud.... The difference in a safe queen and a shooter....

RonEgg

Blackhawk
A little bare metal shining through on the leading edge of the cylinder and the ejector shroud.... The difference in a safe queen and a shooter....

I agree, I had a gorgeous OM SBH and I traded it because it was to pretty to shoot. All my guns are shooters. Still looking for a shooter OM SBH.

winterwood

Single-Sixer
Well said and honestly felt. Mint is nice, but it is hard not to leave it in the safe.
Those guns with a visible history are interesting to hold and imagine all the life experiences. Each carry adds to the patina and increases the individuality.
I welcome every one of them I can into my hands.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
feathers73":ox4x322w said:
A lot of us, including myself, search for that old blackhawk that is mint. But on the other hand, I can really appreciate an old shooter that has developed its share of wear honestly from just being used or carried. I seem to enjoy a slightly worn gun more sometimes as I enjoy it without worrying about messing it up with a nick or ding. The patina of an old Ruger can be a beautiful thing.

I can handle patina, as long as there is no rust, on a gun that has been carried a lot, but not shot loose. Something about rust, that makes me think, 'negligence'.

Earl.

RonEgg

Blackhawk
I can handle patina, as long as there is no rust, on a gun that has been carried a lot, but not shot loose. Something about rust, that makes me think, 'negligence'.

There are a couple of OM Rugers on GB now and in both pictures where they show the hammer cocked, looking down showing they have not been converted, there is rust. One I think is a SBH and the other is a .30 carbine. Wouldn't buy either one.

Well.
Here are a couple that have seen a 100,000 rounds plus. They are getting a little long of tooth. Holster will take off bluing :( No patina/RUST.
I have had the middle one since new in 1967. I don't know about the bottom one it's just a back up :D :D
Jim
pair45s.jpg

Latest posts