Principles of Controlled Feed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
The 1911 pistol operates on the Controlled Feed Principle. That is, the round is under direct, positive control of the gun from the time it's loaded into the magazine until the empty case leaves the port.

Not only positive control, but forced control, because the cycle isn't smooth. It's a fairly violent, slam-bang affair, and the opportunity for the gun to lose control of the round is always lurking...always possible...because it's doing its level best to knock it out of control.

This requires that the cartridge is in contact at least two opposing points in its direction of travel. Most important is that it remain in firm contact with the breechface. If if loses contact here...even for a brief instant...it's no longer in control, and if it's not under control, the opportunity for a malfunction increases almost exponentially.

Browning understood this, and he worked to make sure that it didn't happen. Delaying the final release of the cartridge until it was well into the chamber and the rim under the extractor was key, but ol' Mose was the master of redundancy. He backed everything up with a secondary function whenever and wherever he could...just in case the first one was compromised.

In my early days, sittin' at the knee of my father...a toolmaker turned engineer, and my uncle...a retired Navy armorer...I was required to study different functions and explain them in detail as to why they were there...what they did...and what Browning's intent was in including them. Part of my education was studying blueprints.

I was pretty good at figgerin' things out on my own, but when I ran into one little, oft-unseen or unnoticed detail on a slide print one day...I was completely stumped. I made the usual observation as to why the breechface was specified at 89 degrees, 8 minutes to the bottom of the center rail instead of 90 degrees...with zero tolerance allowed...but it was the wrong one.

At this point, I'll add that a surprising number of modern 1911 copies and clones don't adhere to this seemingly trivial, but important spec...checking at a dead-on 90 degrees.

Next is noting that in any machine operation, the smaller the tolerance given, the more critical the dimension. Tool and die makers refer to a .006 inch tolerance...+/-.003 inch...as a football field. To put that into perspective, .003 inch is smaller than the average human hair. Most of the tolerances in an ordnance-spec 1911 pistol are football fields.

Except that breechface angle. There is zero tolerance, plus or minus. 89'8" period.

It's not to compensate for the barrel tilt. If it were, there would be a fairly generous tolerance...at least by tool and die standards. The barrel tilt is slight enough and varies enough that less than a degree from dead square in the breechface angle is really neither here nor there...even if the tolerances were to stack in the wrong direction.

No, the specified angle is about controlled feed. After my uncle shot all my other theories fulla holes...much to my frustration...he told me to take what I knew, and study it until I figured it out. It took me a week of brain-wrackin' agony, but it finally hit me. When it did, it was a facepalm moment. So simple. It had been there all along, and I didn't see it...mainly because I couldn't let go of my preconceived notions. Browning...like an illusionist, fooled me with sleight-of-hand and that barrel tilt.

Once I started thinking of what happened before the barrel went to battery, it literally jumped off the page at me.

My reward was a worn-out 1943 Ithaca of my very own to have and to hold and to shoot until it fell apart if I chose...after I rebuilt it, of course. I did, and I still have it...and it still runs like a Singer sewing machine on the rare occasion that I drag it out of the mothballs. (No pun intended)

So, go put your thinkin' caps on. Let's see how many can crack Browning's code.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Once again, 1911 Tuner, I've saved your post to my don't delete file, in fact, I've started a file all to yourself! Keep 'em coming, I'm cross referencing your posts to Jerry Kuhnhausen's excellent shop manuals.

In my early days, sittin' at the knee of my father...a toolmaker turned engineer, and my uncle...a retired Navy armorer...I was required to study different functions and explain them in detail as to why they were there...what they did...and what Browning's intent was in including them. Part of my education was studying blueprints.
I've often wished I could spend some time with a good gunsmith just soaking it up. Closest I came was shooting the breeze with the Marine armorers in their trailer at Camp Perry as they did a trigger job, (gratis) on my '03 prior to the "sight-in" course of fire. (I did leave 'em a case of "old" beer to dispose of, when we finished shooting. The trigger worked out well for me, and helped me shoot a 92 at 600 with the old ladder sight. That was in '06 when I was 60 and that venerable '03 was 75!

Many thanks, Rod

19ontheslide

Bearcat
Okay, I'll take a stab, but won't be surprised if it's not right. :? Is the angling of the breech face to sort of help or force the rim of the case up and under the extractor? As the slide comes forward to strip a round off the magazine, the round in question is already at a slight upward-facing angle, relative to the bottom of the slide's center rail. As the slide starts stripping the round free, the spring pressure from the round beneath it (or the follower) tries to push the head of the cartridge up, making the round's travel level out momentarily. Then as the nose of the bullet hits the feed ramp, the slide is still trying to move forward. The round being fed is now being sort of momentarily pinched between the breech face and the feed ramp, and the angled breech face acts as a wedge to help the head of the cartridge slide up and under the extractor.

Maybe?? :?:

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
The angle is a redundant feature that keeps the rim in contact with the breechface in case the magazine releases the round too early or too abruptly, before it's been picked up by the extractor.

Remember that...in spite of the lowered angle of entry provided by the tapered feed lips of the original magazine design...the rear of the round describes a short arc as it moves under the extractor.

If it releases too early, the rim loses contact momentarily and the slide winds up chasing the round. When it catches it, it bumps it. If the bump pushes it ahead of the extractor, it usually chambers...but now you have a condition known as push feed...which works well in bolt and lever-action rifles...and even in self-loaders like the Garand and the M14/M1A...but not so well with the short-stubby pistol rounds.

While Browning did design his extractor to snap over the rim in emergencies like lost or damaged magazines, requiring the pistol to be single-loaded...it's not supposed to be done very much. It knocks the tension out of an extractor or breaks it eventually.

And here lies the problem with "Wadcutter" magazines. If the breechface is cut at 90 degrees, both the gradual magazine release and the redundant brake provided by the breechface angle are lost...the gun loses control of the round...not every time...but often enough to cause a problem.

In every pistol that I've examined which were eating extractors while-u-wait...I've found the 90-degree breechface...and most often the owner was using wadcutter magazines. Many of them also experienced intermittent issues with return to battery failures due to the round chambering ahead of the extractor.

Whenever I was able to persuade them to make the switch to "Hybrids" or full-tapered USGI "Hardball" magazines...their problems disappeared.

One guy in particular comes to mind. A heavy shooter, he was losing an extractor about every 2500 rounds. He had a pistol that required a little fitting to the extractor...excessive deflection...and I was his fitter of choice. I finally convinced him to make the switch, and the last extractor that I installed went 50,000 rounds before it needed to be retensioned. No failures to extract, but weak, erratic ejection brought him back for a tune-up. His issues with failure to return to battery dropped off the charts.

The pistol will tolerate the loss of one or the other...but not both.

If you want to know if your pistol is push-feeding, examine the case rims. Look closely or feel for a burr that's been kicked up right on the edge that's usually accompanied by a "smear" further inboard. Sometimes it's a clear mark and a heavy burr. Sometimes, it's barely noticeable...but if it's there...your extractor is taking a pounding that it was never meant to absorb.

19ontheslide

Bearcat
Very interesting, 1911Tuner. Thanks for that, as well as your other "Feeding" posts. The more I can learn about these pistols, the happier I am. Out of curiosity, have you had a chance to examine any Ruger SR1911 breechfaces? How do they look, angle-wise? And am I remembering correctly that the factory-supplied Checkmate mags that come with the SR1911 are of the "hybrid" lip variety you're describing?

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Out of curiosity, have you had a chance to examine any Ruger SR1911 breechfaces? How do they look, angle-wise? And am I remembering correctly that the factory-supplied Checkmate mags that come with the SR1911 are of the "hybrid" lip variety you're describin

I've only seen one of Ruger's pistols, and I didn't get a chance to check the breechface. The guy reported that it had functioned perfectly for 2,000 rounds, so there was no need to get too deep into checking the specs. I normally only do that when I'm trying to identify or isolate a problem. I did get to tear it all the way down, and everything looked to be decent quality...even the MIM parts...and the gun was nicely done. If I was in the market for a 1911-pattern pistol without a passive firing pin safety, I'd buy one...but since I've got enough 1911 pistols to make the DHS extremely nervous...I don't see adding one to my stable.

I did notice the same hitch in installing the sear and disconnect that I see with Essex and the old Thompson Auto Ordnance frames. Not a major gripe, but it does show that something about the rear of the frame isn't to ordnance spec.

I do seem to remember that the 7-round OEM magazine had the hybrid feed lips, and that spring was adequately strong. I assumed...correctly as it turns out...that at least that magazine was supplied by CMI.

chapped lips

Single-Sixer
How does one measure the breechface angle properly/correctly?
Tool(s) required?
Maybe you can post pics of the procedure with tiny ▶◀▼▲ or larger ↑↓←→ to guide us to critical areas. (been wanting to use those kybd characters)
My appreciation to your posts.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
How does one measure the breechface angle properly/correctly?
Tool(s) required?

Unless you have the ordnance gauge, about all you can do is check it with a toolmaker's square, and all that'll tell you is whether it's at 90 degrees or not. If it proves to be undersquare, it's a pretty safe bet that it's to spec.