Primers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I went to pick up some small pistol primers the other day at the store. They had a good selection.

They also had these. They looked interesting, so I bought 500 of them. I use them in .327 and I'm going to try them in the 357 MAX. Somewhere, I read the Max should use BR4 primers, but they are a little on the expensive side. I bought a few hundred a while back and they do a fine job in the 357 Max; but I'm hoping these will work in the Maximum as well.

Has anyone else tried these? They are "USA Ready" :D (Marketing is something else, isn't it?) Oh, and they were $4.50 per 100, which is why I only bought 500. The BR4's were in the $6 range if I remember right.

MYvuqWbl.jpg

wwb

Hunter
I'm not a .357 Max guy, and I'm too lazy to go downstairs to check the manuals..... does the Max use small rifle primers rather than small pistol primers?

contender

Ruger Guru
Many of the Maxi loads do require small rifle primers. And,, of course,, the similar powders that go along with such loadings.

I haven't tried the WW match primers yet. But,, heck,, I'd be willing!

recumbent said:
I load a lot of 327 mag. I have never used small rifle primers.
I'll try some this spring.

Really? What are you using? I mean they must be working for you. But the only loads I've seen/used for 327 have called for small rifle primers.

sixshot

Buckeye
I load for 3 different 327's & have never used a small rifle primer in any of them. I do use some small pistol magnum primers with some loads.

Dick

recumbent

Buckeye
Kevin said:
recumbent said:
I load a lot of 327 mag. I have never used small rifle primers.
I'll try some this spring.

Really? What are you using? I mean they must be working for you. But the only loads I've seen/used for 327 have called for small rifle primers.
I use small pistol primers, Hodgdon calls for small pistol magnum primers but I just use std small pistol with good results.

NikA

Buckeye
I believe some years back someone measured the brisance and cup thickness of CCI small pistol magnum and small rifle primers and determined that they were essentially the same product. I've used them interchangeably.

mikld

Blackhawk
Has anyone else tried these? They are "USA Ready" :D (Marketing is something else, isn't it?)
Thread drift has gotten away from the OP's question. I'd be interested to know too as I don't remember seeing any of these primers...

DHD

Single-Sixer
NikA said:
I believe some years back someone measured the brisance and cup thickness of CCI small pistol magnum and small rifle primers and determined that they were essentially the same product. I've used them interchangeably.

There's some evidence that the CCI SPM and SR are the same. Can't remember which forums had the most chatter about this, but on one a lady who worked for CCI flat out stated that they were the same. Revardless, in my revolvers I've used them interchangeably and Mr Ohler, Mr Target, and Mr Revolver says they are the same and I believe them.

Anyway, I've seen those Winchester Match SR primers on PV and just didn't get too excited. If they are better than a CCI 450, I may give them a try after this newest buy out passes. I'm stocked up on primers for a long time so I may never get around to it.