Primers for 22 Hornet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sailorb

Single-Sixer
Well, i am finally getting around to loading some ammo for the 77/22 Hornet I bought. I have decided Lil' Gun is the first powder I will try, with H110 and 2400 next in line. What is you all's experience in the debate of small rifle primers vs. small pistol primers? The range I use is not real close, so I can't do back to back experiments as easily as I would like. From everything I have read, the Hornet is very component sensative, so I would like to get started on the right track for load developement as soon as possible. Thanks for the input.

Bullet Puller

Bearcat
I bought a used #3 in .22 Hornet a couple of years back. My first loads were with 2400. The results gave me reason to think I had bought a junker. I bought a can of Li'l Gun and groups improved dramatically. 1" and less. All my loads have been with Remington 6 1/2 primers. I have read some about useing small pistol primers in the Hornet, but I just don't see where it is necessary. 1" groups from a 1976 vintage #3 is okay in my book.

Good luck. I know you will enjoy shooting the Hornet. Keep us posted.
Larry

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Ross Seyfried shot a 22 Hornet a lot.

Recommended small pistol primers, 'Lil Gun, and 35-grain Hornady VMAX bullets.

My accuracy improved a lot when I changed to this load in my Hornets.

MADISON

Single-Sixer
Over the years I have owned and shot 5 Hornets.
All were single shots except for my 77/22-Hornet.
Most of the time I had to settle for 1 1/2 inch groups...Until Now.

I use Small Rifle primers with my standard load of 9.9 grains of 2400.
With my City load/ Squib load of 4.1 grains of UNIQUE I use Small Pistol Primers for consisant ignition.

rigger

Bearcat
I've tried both small pistol and small rifle primers in my 43 Winchester and couldn't see much difference. I'm with Hammer on the Lil Gun and 35 grain VMAX. It made a huge difference when I switched to that combo from 2400 or 4227 and standard Hornet bullets like the Sierra 40 or 45.

96/44

Blackhawk
I use CCI small pistol primers, they made a noticeable difference in group size vs. Winchester rifle primers I was using. I have heard a lot of people having success with the Rem 6 1/2 also. For me 13.0 grs of Lil'gun and the 35gr v-max is unbeatable.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The primers you should be using are the Rem 6 1/2 (this primer was specifically designed for the .22 Hornet) or small pistol primers. Every other small rifle primer is much hotter and will jump the bullet to the lands before the powder ignites because the Hornet doesn't have the neck tension to hold it.

WYO1

Bearcat
Viola ! Mattsbox99 what you mention is the crux of the problem w/most hornets. If your barrel is so that you can load out long enough to touch the lands and not have magazine box interference, if you have one, it will even shoot better. And brass will withstand many more loadings.

ebg3

Bearcat
Had a good load with 12.5grs Lil'gun and the Nosler 45gr solid base bullet and Win. small rifle primers, until it was dropped from the line-up. This load would shoot 3/4"-1" 5 shot groups at 100yds, if I did my part. Now I'm using a Berger 30gr HP with 13 grs H-110 and Win. small rifle primers with great luck. This load shoots 5/8" to 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100yds out of my Savage single shot. I have not tried small pistol primers yet.

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
I don't believe you will go wrong with the LilGun. I shoot a Savage Mod 40 single shot and get excellent results with LilGun. I use 12.5 gr with 40 gr Nosler Bal Tips and 13.0 gr with the 35 gr Hor Vmax. Both has superb accuracy but the Vmax prints 1 1/4" high and right if sighted in with the Nosler.