Primers "back in stock"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Buckeye
I got one of those email notifications that pistol primers were back in stock at MidSouth (I think they were sm. pistol magnum). I don't need any but I do like to see what's coming in and what the price it. They were $99.99 per 1000 (you remember, the same ones we used to buy for $14.50 and then $19.50 per 1000). Well, I that email was time stamped 1:12PM today and I opened it at about 7:30 PM (when I usually check my email). It was hard for me to believe that there are actually people who will pay $99.99 per 1000; but there must be folk like that out there because they were "out of stock" when I got to check the price. It is an amazing world to this old fool.

THANKS MidSouth, I'll pass (even if they were in still in stock 6 hours later).

J.

kmoore

Buckeye
In my time 6.99 per 1000 on sale. Just before they dried up a few years ago I seen prices up to 54 per 1,000. Seems they were in the 40 to 50 range for a few years.

hittman

Staff member
If they’re sold out, must not be price gouging ….. somebody will pony up.

I remember once buying a pair of Norinco MAK-90s for $600.00 but the 1990s are long gone.

57springer

Buckeye
If they’re sold out, must not be price gouging ….. somebody will pony up.

I remember once buying a pair of Norinco MAK-90s for $600.00 but the 1990s are long gone.
I think this will be the price from here on out . I bought small rifle from them this past Jan. for $89/ 1000.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
In a money spending competition such as is going on now, I can't compete with those making a 6 figure income. Makes no diff if it involves groceries, vehicles, guns & ammo, or anything else--a 'comfortable' retirement income 15 years ago is poverty now.

I think lots of people got started reloading when the ammo shelves were empty a few years ago. So for them $99 per brick of primers probably sounds reasonable. Honestly it does to me as well.

Sure I would like $34 per thousand. But there has been a period of inflation since then. Everything is costing more for the fools as well as the educated people of the world. :)

Dan in MI

Staff member
I fully understand inflation and prices rising. It's when they take an unprecedented jump that rattles my cage.

$15 to 20 to 30, sure, little bites are normal, but 35 to 100 is nuts. Much like 22's $20 a brick to $55 over night for the cheap stuff seems to be more than just normal inflation.

harley08

Single-Sixer
I got one of those email notifications that pistol primers were back in stock at MidSouth (I think they were sm. pistol magnum). I don't need any but I do like to see what's coming in and what the price it. They were $99.99 per 1000 (you remember, the same ones we used to buy for $14.50 and then $19.50 per 1000). Well, I that email was time stamped 1:12PM today and I opened it at about 7:30 PM (when I usually check my email). It was hard for me to believe that there are actually people who will pay $99.99 per 1000; but there must be folk like that out there because they were "out of stock" when I got to check the price. It is an amazing world to this old fool.

THANKS MidSouth, I'll pass (even if they were in still in stock 6 hours later).

J.
I have a box of 5000 Large Rifle Primers on my shelf that has the sticker price of $75.00 that I paid for them. (Those days are long gone)
Rocko Rizzo

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Only if fools are willing to pay them.
I know 4 different guys who are willing to pay that for them. They didn't stock up enough before this whole shortage started, they want to shoot every week and they have the money to comfortably afford it, so why not?

It only comes out to $3.70/box/50 more than it cost before primers went to the moon, not a huge deal. If you shoot a box a week like the guys I mentioned, it only comes out to $185.00/year more in expense. Not a big deal to them.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
The only "big deal" about these prices is that the buyers perpetuate the big STEAL. Food and fuel are commodities that are a MUST; the only way to handle this segment is to be as frugal as possible. On 'elective' items, we do have the ability to lower prices, it just takes time and LOTS of discipline.
IMHO of course,
J

Latest posts