pricing my 1937 Win 70 22 K hornet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bogus bill

Hunter
About 45 years ago I bought this model 70. Serial # 8xxx. Thought it was a hornet, shot it and found it was a K hornet. Bought K hornet dyes, loaded it, shot it very little but had good results. Put it away and all but forgot about it. Rifle has been drilled and tapped for a scope and believe the stock is refinished. May need to sell some guns soon. What do you think a fair asking price might be? Under the barrel it`s dated 1936. Wrote Winchester and got a generic letter years ago saying 1937. I had a knowledgeable gun nut friend (now passed) who speculated it could be a first model 70 hornet they made and used a left over stock model 54 hornet barrel that the model 70 had just replaced. Whats your guess? What would YOU ask for it?
https://i.postimg.cc/bNJ1fNQD/Win-M-70-8039.jpg

Valmet

Single-Sixer
krw said:
Its a shooter, not a collector gun. Price accordingly

+1. It's a cool old rifle, but between D&T, refinished stock, and aftermarket buttpad there really isn't much value as a collector's gun.

If it's a K-Hornet it is probably not factory so collector's value is lowered. If the re-chambering to K configuration was done by a "Known" Smith or even by Lysle Kilborn (SIC) himself value could be enhanced. As a user the K-Hornet is much improved over a stock hornet.