Price on a Currently NEW/Used SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
Saw a 578-***** SP101 357 magnum 2 1/2" with hammer today for $499.99
I have had maybe 5 SP101s in my day, One was a SPNY 38spl, also had a early 38spl in 1989 IIRC
Had two 9mm SP101s in 2 1/2 & 3 1/16 back in the 90s & another 357 125gr bullet only
Notice many cast parts on the newer ones but somehow still want this 578-*****
I have ten other handguns & a 38 spl five shot revolver BUT still want the 357 Magnum SP101
Constitutional Carry Comes to my State of Indiana July 1st 2022 & thought maybe getting the SP101 on July 4th Just Because
Try an talk me into it the SP101
Are These now worth $500?

The most popular model (and in the most demand) is the 3" SP101. The 2-1/4" model isn't nearly in the same demand hence the price isn't there. From what I've seen the $500 2-1/4" is an exceptional deal. Hence if you decide to sell it, you won't get a lot more. On the other hand I've seen the 3-1/8" sell into the low $800 range. Finding a clean 3" and advertising it for $700 you will have a line of people trying to buy that. And I've seen that recently. I've seen a 3" advertised at a dealer for something like $739, but here you are also looking at adding 6% tax which puts it just over $783 and change but it also has the cast parts, so it depends on what you are looking for. There are several configurations of the SP101 so value is going to depend on if you are a collector and what holes are you trying to fill in. Even the 3" 38's that came back here from France aren't in just one configuration. Sometimes you have to see these guns side by side to recognize a different configuration. Just this weekend I saw two models and one had a short frame and one had a long frame. Ruger was still producing both versions at the same time. One would think that all 3" 38's would be the short frame, alas that's not the case. So the proper question is, is $500 a good deal for that gun TO YOU???

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
Oh, I was always impressed with the Ruger SP101 design
I sold off many handguns when I bought my 1st Home & went from Renting to Owning a home
It was a collector & had many SP101s, the 9mm 3 1/16" was my favorite & it was DAO & quite Rare
They cost around $300 two decades ago when a S&W J Frame was $500
Twenty years later they have increased in value by $200+

Been thinking HARD about getting this SP101
Serial # Started with 578- = Fairly NEW Production
IIRC My SPNY was 570-40150 in 38 spl.
I have also seen some Imported SP101s in 38 spl with the 3 1/16" barrel USED of Course

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
From just looking for the serial #s on the SP101s I was mistaken about the years as the 570-40150 SPNY was a 1990
The 1st 38spl one I had was a 1989 & traded it back then for a New Glock 19 Gen 2 from a friend that worked at Keisler's
That trade must have been made in 1991 IIRC?
This one starts with 578-***** so after 2015 via the Ruger Guide to SP101 serial #s
https://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-SP101.html?msclkid=631d344bba5911ec80efe19a11b3e48d
What's great this is at a local pawn shop that I deal with quite a lot, Bought four of my current handguns there during the pandemic
I can put it on lay-a-way for 10% down = $50 & pay the rest as May I have to pay my house taxes & June 1st is the day constitutional carry starts in Indiana which I need something to mark the occasion with = The Ruger SP101 357 or wait & just carry one of my other ten handguns until I pay it off.
No Rush Really...
I Just found a Brand NEW Box of 357 Winchester Silver Tip 357s in my stash.. & Need something to fire them from...
Taurus 85CH.jpg Three S&Ws SD9 Shield & 380EZ.jpg USPc40 X2 & P2000sk.jpg SIG P230 X-Carry Grey Ghost.jpg X Series Glocks.jpg
Currently don't even own a Ruger but have had so many over the years it's about time for that to change as well as another 10/22 & MKII
Above are Taurus 85CH, S&Ws SD9 FDE, Shield 2.0, 380EZ, H&K USP Compacts 40 S&W X 2 & a P2000sk 40, SIG P320 X, Glocks 19X & 43X

Something else I really need is a New Belt as my High Noon carry belt is now too small & haven't been wearing one & just slipping a slim pistol in my pants
I'm really close to 38-40 now, was 36" six months ago... Was 42" a month back SO I'm starting to shrink SOME.. = Starving slowly...
M&P Shield & Glock 43X Holsters.jpg
I'm 56 years old, Retired & Own my House & Cars + Everything is paid off & wasn't given anything in my Life...

We'll talk pocket knives sometime as I have a small handful that serve my just fine...
My favorite is a Benchmade Griptilian that was given to me by the Local Police Chief who has now passed away
His Son is now the Police Chief, Funny how that works...
Hk P2000sk Cross Breed.jpg

I have to take my Wife to the Doctor later this morning & will be back around later on this morning
She's due there in an Hour
Gary/Ruger 10/22

NikA

Buckeye
Personally, I'm not very interested in "new" SPs since they cut corners on the machining around the release button pin hole. To me, the straight cut in that area looks downright ugly, and I'd place a premium on having an older model with a more nuanced cut.

MIM versus not, I believe the MIM hammer and trigger are more comfortable/less sharp out of the box. Don't think there's a history of MIM failures on Ruger manufactured parts.

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
I'd rather have an older one myself, but this very new example has showed its head to me...
Everyone I ever had before was of course the older ones
I see the difference where the cylinder lug is right away
Going to ride back over there in a while after lunch & see...
Baked Fish & stir fry wagyu beef for lunch
I am the chef this afternoon as Wife is supposed to stay still & rest after the back spinal tap & is on paid meds now
Will report back later & might grab a few pics with the super phone
Gary

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
After a contact via e-mail to Ruger it looks like the revolver in question is a KSP-321X
The serial # 576-536** dates it to 2017
I plan on shimming the hammer & trigger & putting some Wolff Springs in it from my parts stash
Its DA trigger pull is crazy strong & has the factory small itty bitty grip
I will buy a set of Hogue or get a set from Ruger with their logos as I have a 20% Code for a buy from RugerShop.Com
Could see some powder residue on the ejector rod & doubt the revolver has ever seen more than 50 rounds in its five-year life & carried very little to none
Stated it came with a case but unsure if it's the grey or black type case because I didn't ask, I assume the grey...

Last edited:
I saw one yesterday at the gun store, it was $900. An SP101 in 357. It did have the nice rubber grips with dark wood inserts. I'd love to have another, but NOT at these prices.

Latest posts