Price gouging loading components?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I paid $4.95/100 again yesterday for primers, F150 instead of WLP, but it seems to me like there is always "something" in stock now. I'm thinking I'm getting ripped off as I see bricks for $34 on the net, and I'm sure that's not "cost"! I think $40 for a box of Hornady 255 .45 cal lead "cowboy" bullets at the same place is a little steep too.... :roll: What are prices like everywhere else guys?

revhigh

Hawkeye
When you're buying one box out of a brick, you can't expect to get it for 1/10 the cost of a brick.

Primers are $34/1000 where I am, powder is around $18 a pound, and bullets from mastercast.net are far cheaper.

http://www.mastercast.net/cast_bullets.htm

Why shoot Hornady bullets into the ground ??

REV

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Shop 10 miles from me has 100 WLP for $7.98....1 lb Hogdon powder $32.98.....Don't think your doing too bad Dennis. But I won't pay that.

bigchillymn

Bearcat
I just paid 31.00 for a brick of Rem small rifle 71/2 at a local mom and pop, and I'm sure there not selling for a loss. Paid 149.50 for an eight lb keg of H380 at the same store a couple of weeks ago.Most of the stores around here seem to have a pretty good supply lately. Hopefully, all this gouging, or supply and demand, or whatever you want to call it, is starting to level out.

Rusty W

Single-Sixer
In my area Wolf primers are $26.00 per 1K, Rem, & Win. are $35.00 if you can find them. Powder is $20 to $26 per LB and the most common are scarce. Bullets are $22 per hundred for Hornady XTP in 9mm and .357's. I haven't bought any 44's or 45's because a few years ago I walked into my local gunshop and lead bullets went from $25.00 for 500 to $38.00 for 500. I ordered a mold that day and started casting my own. At the time I thought I was saving money by casting my own. I guess I do if I figure I don't have to buy bullets anymore. Casting has turned into a whole nuther animal so if you try it be careful, you might like it. At the rate I'm going I'm going to have to live past 80 to re-coup my "cheap" bullets.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
revhigh":jwb0d5sk said:
When you're buying one box out of a brick, you can't expect to get it for 1/10 the cost of a brick.

Primers are $34/1000 where I am, powder is around $18 a pound, and bullets from mastercast.net are far cheaper.

http://www.mastercast.net/cast_bullets.htm

Why shoot Hornady bullets into the ground ??

REV
Well, the brick price is $49.50 for primers so I guess the dealer feels buying a brick gets you no discount! Powder $26 lb for seldom used "shotgun" burn rates, $29 for H110, LilGun, 2400 etc.(IF they had any, haven't seen any slow pistol powders in months!) The .45 255 Hornady lead bullets shoot well and are convenient as I don't have to cast them myself in the nonstop miserable weather we seem to be having. But I won't pay $.20 a shot for them on top of a nickle for a damn primer! (Even though I fire 90% of them into an old ice chest packed with wet phone books for "smelting" at a later date) :wink:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Over the summer, what powder could be had was outrageous in my neighborhood. I HAD to have one jug RIGHT NOW that set me back about $32, but held off on the rest until later.

What I see on the shelves now is not at "gouging" prices, but supplies are still sketchy...

Online sources I use are generally reasonable, though w/ the same sketchy supply pipeline as the LGS guys.

Rick C

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Yesterday at Vermont's largest gun show I saw Wolf and CCI primers priced $40/1000; I also found (and bought) Federal Small Pistol Magnum primers for $35/1000.

slowrider

Single-Sixer
Today purchased 1000 Fed small pistal primers at Cabellas for $34.99. That's the only brand of SP primers they had. I wanted to buy a bottle of Unique but they had none.

pps

Single-Sixer
I wait for a time when I "need" to place a large order, that way it's only one hazmat fee. I'll order 20-30# of powder at a time and 10-20k primers. That way the hazmat and shipping fees don't nickle and dime me to death.

Bucks, your boolit trap sounds similar to mine, except I use rubber mulch that the shop vac lifts blissfully off of the boolits. With the exception of the 22 hornet, and 300wsm I am down to my last 1000 jacketed bullets and have all but switched to cast.

Use your savings on the bullets towards more primers. Buy in bulk when you can.

Latest posts