Price gouging loading components?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I paid $4.95/100 again yesterday for primers, F150 instead of WLP, but it seems to me like there is always "something" in stock now. I'm thinking I'm getting ripped off as I see bricks for $34 on the net, and I'm sure that's not "cost"! I think $40 for a box of Hornady 255 .45 cal lead "cowboy" bullets at the same place is a little steep too.... :roll: What are prices like everywhere else guys?

revhigh

Hawkeye
When you're buying one box out of a brick, you can't expect to get it for 1/10 the cost of a brick.

Primers are $34/1000 where I am, powder is around $18 a pound, and bullets from mastercast.net are far cheaper.

http://www.mastercast.net/cast_bullets.htm

Why shoot Hornady bullets into the ground ??

REV

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Shop 10 miles from me has 100 WLP for $7.98....1 lb Hogdon powder $32.98.....Don't think your doing too bad Dennis. But I won't pay that.

bigchillymn

Bearcat
I just paid 31.00 for a brick of Rem small rifle 71/2 at a local mom and pop, and I'm sure there not selling for a loss. Paid 149.50 for an eight lb keg of H380 at the same store a couple of weeks ago.Most of the stores around here seem to have a pretty good supply lately. Hopefully, all this gouging, or supply and demand, or whatever you want to call it, is starting to level out.

Rusty W

Single-Sixer
In my area Wolf primers are $26.00 per 1K, Rem, & Win. are $35.00 if you can find them. Powder is $20 to $26 per LB and the most common are scarce. Bullets are $22 per hundred for Hornady XTP in 9mm and .357's. I haven't bought any 44's or 45's because a few years ago I walked into my local gunshop and lead bullets went from $25.00 for 500 to $38.00 for 500. I ordered a mold that day and started casting my own. At the time I thought I was saving money by casting my own. I guess I do if I figure I don't have to buy bullets anymore. Casting has turned into a whole nuther animal so if you try it be careful, you might like it. At the rate I'm going I'm going to have to live past 80 to re-coup my "cheap" bullets.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
revhigh":jwb0d5sk said:
When you're buying one box out of a brick, you can't expect to get it for 1/10 the cost of a brick.

Primers are $34/1000 where I am, powder is around $18 a pound, and bullets from mastercast.net are far cheaper.

http://www.mastercast.net/cast_bullets.htm

Why shoot Hornady bullets into the ground ??

REV
Well, the brick price is $49.50 for primers so I guess the dealer feels buying a brick gets you no discount! Powder $26 lb for seldom used "shotgun" burn rates, $29 for H110, LilGun, 2400 etc.(IF they had any, haven't seen any slow pistol powders in months!) The .45 255 Hornady lead bullets shoot well and are convenient as I don't have to cast them myself in the nonstop miserable weather we seem to be having. But I won't pay $.20 a shot for them on top of a nickle for a damn primer! (Even though I fire 90% of them into an old ice chest packed with wet phone books for "smelting" at a later date) :wink:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Over the summer, what powder could be had was outrageous in my neighborhood. I HAD to have one jug RIGHT NOW that set me back about $32, but held off on the rest until later.

What I see on the shelves now is not at "gouging" prices, but supplies are still sketchy...

Online sources I use are generally reasonable, though w/ the same sketchy supply pipeline as the LGS guys.

Rick C

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Yesterday at Vermont's largest gun show I saw Wolf and CCI primers priced $40/1000; I also found (and bought) Federal Small Pistol Magnum primers for $35/1000.

slowrider

Single-Sixer
Today purchased 1000 Fed small pistal primers at Cabellas for $34.99. That's the only brand of SP primers they had. I wanted to buy a bottle of Unique but they had none.

pps

Single-Sixer
I wait for a time when I "need" to place a large order, that way it's only one hazmat fee. I'll order 20-30# of powder at a time and 10-20k primers. That way the hazmat and shipping fees don't nickle and dime me to death.

Bucks, your boolit trap sounds similar to mine, except I use rubber mulch that the shop vac lifts blissfully off of the boolits. With the exception of the 22 hornet, and 300wsm I am down to my last 1000 jacketed bullets and have all but switched to cast.

Use your savings on the bullets towards more primers. Buy in bulk when you can.