PRICE CHECK, Model 60 S&W

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
I have an older SS model 60 38 special, this is the J frame snubbie, its had the hammer professionally bobbed, shot very little (one badger) & is in excellent shape, I have 2 of them. Have original stocks or a set of pachmayrs. Need a price.

Thanks, Dick

Cholo

Staff member
I bought a 99+% 60 no dash for $450 about 6 years ago. I overpaid, but I wanted it to replace a .38 that got stolen. I havn't seen their prices moving too much at gun shows. The bobbed hammer will probably knock it down a bit.

A SWAG? $350 or a bit less in 98% condition or so. Wish I could be the bearer of better news, but I havn't seen it in GA.

A sixshot five shot 2" .38 that took a badger ought to raise it a bit. How 'bout askin' $400 for a piece of history? :wink:

dbarale

Obsolete
As much as I would love to think they are still $200 guns, it seems that $350 to $400 is more the norm nowadays. The bobbed hammer takes a bit away so maybe $325 to $375...

dougader

Hunter
There's a nice one in a shop near me for $410; all stock, with the hammer intact and also shot very little. Model 60, no-dash. All always, if I had the scratch, I'd buy it. :)

mykeal

Single-Sixer
This post deserves a picture:
P7080019.jpg

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
Having experienced internal lock failure on a S&W 642, I recommend that you KEEP your model 60. S&W has since extensively repaired my 642, but I dont trust it any more and it is for sale, despite the fact that I have had no failures in 300 rounds since repair. I intend to purchase a S&W 60, have the hammer bobbed, just like what you are describing. A good S&W 60 is worth $400 to $450. Your 60 is a fantastic concealed carry gun, much under rated.

NEVER TRUST YOUR LIFE TO ANYTHING THAT HAS A CLINTON HOLE IN IT (S&W INTERNAL LOCK)!

dougader

Hunter
surveyor47":knxpvwph said:
Having experienced internal lock failure on a S&W 642, I recommend that you KEEP your model 60. S&W has since extensively repaired my 642, but I dont trust it any more and it is for sale, despite the fact that I have had no failures in 300 rounds since repair. I intend to purchase a S&W 60, have the hammer bobbed, just like what you are describing. A good S&W 60 is worth $400 to $450. Your 60 is a fantastic concealed carry gun, much under rated.

NEVER TRUST YOUR LIFE TO ANYTHING THAT HAS A CLINTON HOLE IN IT (S&W INTERNAL LOCK)!

I hear you on that one. Those da**able locks look ugly and could get a person killed. When I looked seriously for a S&W Mt Gun, I waited until I found a 625-6, which has no lock.

oregon73

Blackhawk
Dick, a pre-lock Model 60 seems to go for 400 - 450 retail in these parts. Hope that helps! I'm sure if it's your gun, it is in primo shape. Not sure how the bobbed hammer would affect price. Some guys might want that. Heck, I've got two model 60's and I find myself wanting yours, sight unseen. Not many Model 60's have killed a badger!!!

Rob

DGW1949

Hunter
I've been out of the loop for a couple of years as far as gun show prices but here's what I do know;
A couple of months ago, my wife turned down an offer of $500 for her old pinned/nickled #36 S&W .38Spl ....and I don't blame her a bit. Considering that the gun in question is in a more desirable caliber, and after looking around at all the new-made alternatives, I'd guess that a pre-lock #60 would be worth close to that....even with it's bobbed hammer.

In other words, the more junk that gets pushed into the market, the more these older guns are worth. Leastways, that's how I see it.

DGW

luvmyruger

Blackhawk
dbarale":1gvb1gri said:
As much as I would love to think they are still $200 guns, it seems that $350 to $400 is more the norm nowadays. The bobbed hammer takes a bit away so maybe $325 to $375...

Agree totally on your comments

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nice guns ... hideous grips ... are they taking the cue from Ruger now, or did Ruger take the cue from S&W ?

REV