Premier loading gate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bhrb75

Bearcat
What year was the premier loading gate on the single six's? Are there any pictures to compare the Ruger loading gate and the Premier?

Thanks,
Brandon

flatgate

Hawkeye
The Premier Loading Gate NEVER "was on the Single-Six". It was produced as a way to "fix up" the early Flatgate Single-Sixes. Of course, once Ruger began producing "round gates" the demand for the Premier gates went away.

It's an aftermarket part, just like the myriad of "plastic" stag grips and fake pearl grips that were available in the mid '50's.

The Premier gate is "longer" than the '57 introduced Ruger round loading gate.

I don't have any "comparison" image but can show pics of both designs on guns...

133940937.jpg

This accessorized Single-Six is sporting a Premier Weapons Co. loading gate.

291010514.jpg

This Single-Six was shipped with Ruger's "round gate".

flatgate

bhrb75

Bearcat
Ok so when people bought a single six with a flat gate, they could replace it with the Premier gate. I guess kinda like putting one of those trigger shoes on to widen the trigger up.

Thanks,
Brandon

yessir, as flatgate shows, not only the "loading gate" but the Micro sights , then there was the ejector rod, bigger button, to make it easier for 'extraction" and then the are the grips, most any material you may want , from plastic to ivory....lots of "after market" stuff on the market back then....to make YOU, the customer 'happy' and spend money.. :wink:

flatgate

Hawkeye
It was "pimp my gun"....... '50's style!!!!

Not many Dealers even had the Premier Weapons Company accessories.
The grips seem to have been more easily obtainable.
146541293.jpg

146541291.jpg

flatgate

americal

Hunter
I will continue to like those PIMP guns they have a good look to me :) after market parts of high quality both premier & micro sight company all advertized in old 50's american rifleman magazines. micro had square, sloped,notched choice both front & rear sights marked micro, on early flattop 357's rear sight adjustment screw would have special line to show your turn cleak lineing up with many click lines,have seen this on micro sighted s.s.'s also but only one or two examples.

flatgate

Hawkeye
89556876.jpg

s/n 636 and s/n 510-00636 rear sights.

120873523.jpg

Here's the "Single-Six" kit "new in bag" and the Micro sights used on the early Ruger's, up to early '63 or so.

268235710.jpg

Now, I need some help, here. The far left sight is a mystery to me. The second one is most likely an "aftermarket copy" of the Micro then the other two are the familiar Micro sights.

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
bhrb75":2227ykzy said:
Are there any pictures to compare the Ruger loading gate and the Premier?
Thanks,
Brandon

357816416.jpg

I dug this out of my Dungeon. The "cardboard" was a rack of Premier Gates that sat on the gun shop's counter. There are still two, brand new in bag, Premier Gates stapled to the cardboard stand.

The Premier Gate instructions were also included with a purchase.

A Ruger Flatgate, a Ruger Roundgate and a Premier gate are shown, as well.

flatgate

PS I find the Single-Six illustration most interesting since it's a "round flute" pre-production example.
PPS I'm surprised I did NOT get any comments about the S/N on the Single-Six in this thread..... :roll:

americal

Hunter
GREAT INFO. FLATGATE :!: never seen a set of micro sights in 20 yr. of gun shows in package & thats asking people to look under table :shock: COOL find 8) 8) 8)

A

Anonymous

Flatgate,

Thank you for all the pictures and information. I've pretty much figured out what I was left from them, but for one item.

In the composit photo of aftermarket parts you show a "Ruger, Trigger Stop." Was/is this "Trigger Stop," a Ruger part, or another aftermarket manufacturer?

----------------
I now own the Ruger, Single Six, .22 cal., sn 22xxx, w/
- original Instructions and Parts List.
- 1973 safety conversion (old/original parts included).
- The "flat" loading gate (original included) has been replaced with a Premier Weapons Co., "Colt-style," contoured loading gate (original factory instructions included)
- Trigger Stop.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Glen":3h7g0ktb said:
Flatgate,

Thank you for all the pictures and information. I've pretty much figured out what I was left from them, but for one item.

In the composit photo of aftermarket parts you show a "Ruger, Trigger Stop." Was/is this "Trigger Stop," a Ruger part, or another aftermarket manufacturer?

The "Dewey" trigger stop was offered back in the mid 1950's. I thought it was an ingenious, aftermarket design to solve a "non problem". I mean, seriously "accurizing" a Ruger Single-Six seems to be a contradiction in terms. These guns were "mass produced" to supply a market that "loathed" for a affordable "Cowboy" gun. Target shooting wasn't the forte!

Nonetheless, WBR set the stage for modern gunmaking around the world.

JMHO,

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
flatgate":273nhrnf said:
268235710.jpg

The second one is most likely an "aftermarket copy" of the Micro

flatgate

Maybe. Take a good close look at #15528 prototype Super some time. That sight has a rounded tang like a flattop, but is not marked MICRO. I suspect Ruger made a few in their shop. The source of that sight might provide a clue to originality??
Pretty interesting on that prototype Super. All of Ruger's closeup images in their earliest Super Blackhawk advertising of the topstrap also picture a round mortised rear sight. I noticed that pretty early in my collecting (the advertisements), then we found the gun!!!
Chet15

flatgate

Hawkeye
C15,
Yes, I've pondered that same point. Look at how "broad" the "blade carrying" portion is. Look at how the "dished out portion of the rear portion of the sight is the same width as the "top strap mortise" portion.

Now, look at the Prototype's rear sight...
231670963.jpg

Two different sights, IMHO.

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
Thank you...yes, great info in this thread!
And it is a pleasure seeing that prototype Super again!!
Chet15