Preferred vari-power scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
All my hunting rifles have Leupolds (except rimfires). My 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag have 3x9. Wife's 7x57 has a 2-8x. Taken several elk, wild pigs, and deer @ over 400 yards over 30+ years of hunting. That being said, I have several Vortex binos that were good bargains for the price.

I do have a TruGlo 1-6x on mt Ruger AR556.

wwb

Hunter
All the scopes on my hunting rifles are Leupold.
A Mini 14 is not a long range gun so I would think a 3-9 would be just fine for anything it can do.

Agreed, a Mini-14 is not a long-range rifle, but a 3-9X is for a long-range rifle. A 1.5-4.5X or maybe a 2-7X would be a much better choice. If you are strictly punching holes in paper, there is no such thing as "too much scope", but for hunting purposes, many people put way too much scope on their rifles. Higher magnification requires a larger objective lens for brightness... this results in taller rings, which, unless the stock is designed with this in mind, results in a poor cheek weld..... and poorer accuracy, especially with a quick shot.

instructor

Bearcat
Started out long time ago using Leopold optics and find them to be a quality piece of kit as they say. Not impressed with variable scopes and much prefer the fixed variety for its simplicity and ruggedness. I well know the Mini 14/5.56 firearm will reach far beyond the 250-yard range, but for hunting I would tend to use that as a limit range wise and any power setting beyond say 4X would be a hinderance rather than a plus. I use a Leupold 2.5X fixed with German post reticle (stands out very clearly in low light, fog, rain, etc.) and weight is kept to a minimum as well. Just a suggestion.

Latest posts