Precision Rifles Sale Ogden Utah, Kents Sports

Help Support Ruger Forum:

single action

Single-Sixer
Kents Sports Store in Ogden is having its annual Ruger Days and I believe they are running the Precision Rifles for 1119.99. Sounds like a good price. And some great prices on other Rugers, they also have a drawing for usually a 10-22. that precision gun is nice and I realize it is not a gun you carry around but dang it is heavy. thought folks might be interested. Kents phone is 801-394-8487. Bob

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
Thanks single action. The wife and I just might run down there tomorrow for something to do. We're in Idaho, but not all that far north of the Utah border. We go down to Smith and Edwards, and then swing over through Logan and back home every once in a while. :)

6gun

Hunter
Mtneer said:
Thanks single action. The wife and I just might run down there tomorrow for something to do. We're in Idaho, but not all that far north of the Utah border. We go down to Smith and Edwards, and then swing over through Logan and back home every once in a while. :)

I'm guessing he talking about Kent's in Ogden? good old Smith and Edwards I bought some of my guns there when I lived in Brigham City about 32 years ago.

That's funny you swing through Logan for a drive, my sister that lives in Logan swings though Idaho quite often for a drive. :mrgreen:

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
Mtneer said:

Ahh, Smith and Edwards. Brings back memories when I was stationed at Hill AFB. Great area.

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
firecaptain said:
Mtneer said:

Ahh, Smith and Edwards. Brings back memories when I was stationed at Hill AFB. Great area.

Ha! That's kind of funny 6gun and firecaptain. What I knew of as a kid as being the "Army/Navy Surplus Store" (Smith and Edwards) seems to have become quite the icon. :D

I was born in Burley, Idaho. But when I was 7 or 8 we moved down to Ogden, Utah for a few years because Dad found work as a Boiler Operator at Hill AFB.

I'm not sure, but I think Dad bought a Remington 30-06 (I don't remember the model) at Smith and Edwards. One gun I definitely remember him buying in that store was a rifle he pulled out of a barrel full of them sitting at the end of an aisle. It was covered in what I thought was thick black grease. Nowadays I'd guess that "thick black grease" was probably Cosmoline. I remember Dad taking that ugly rifle home, cleaning it up, and sort of "sporterizing" it by cutting off the front part of the stock. Then he cut the buttstock off, sanded it down, varnished it, and installed a recoil pad. Dad had someone else install a scope on the gun before giving it to Mom as her "deer rifle."

I don't remember if Mom actually killed any deer with that rifle or not. But I remember this for sure; when I was 15 years old, Lee Harvey Oswald reportedly used a 6.5 Carcano just like my Mom's "deer rifle" to shoot JFK. At 15 years old, that fact was a source of pride for me. Yeah, I know – it was kind of a twisted sort of pride. Nevertheless, I WAS proud that my Mom had a rifle like Oswald's. I didn't know how common those 6.5 Carcano rifles were back then. And I sure didn't know just how common it was for them to have been pulled from a barrel full of them at an Army/Navy Surplus Store.

single action

Single-Sixer
Kents Store has been family run for 65 years, fourth generation working there and they talk about pickle barrels of Surplus .45's coming in and guys, going through and mixing parts to make a solid gun, and they were less than 10 bucks. Same as Smith and Edwards.... back in the day with the surplus guns. Bob

6gun

Hunter
single action said:
Kents Store has been family run for 65 years, fourth generation working there and they talk about pickle barrels of Surplus .45's coming in and guys, going through and mixing parts to make a solid gun, and they were less than 10 bucks. Same as Smith and Edwards.... back in the day with the surplus guns. Bob

Is Herman's On Washington Blvd. still there in Ogden? When I lived in Layton near Hill Field I use to run up to Herman's for reloading supplies.

6gun

Hunter
single action said:
No, Hermans and Wolfes and Sunset Sporting Goods are all gone....Bob

Wolfe's sporting goods in down town SLC is where I bought my first Ruger, I worked at Jack Wolfe's ranch wear for a while in high school separates business's but they were brothers, I remember Sunset sports, never bought any guns from them but they had some good ammo sells around deer season.

To bad Herman's is gone it was just a small gun shop but had all the reloading supplies I ever needed, I remember buying single packs of CCI primers from them for 89 cents a pack and Winchester powder in steel cans for around $10