Precious memories.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Last night, Tuesday, Aug. 9th, a severe thunderstorm passed over Memphis and about 6:00 p.m. my electric power went out. It was not restored until around 9:30 this morning. For light I had two coal oil lamps, a battery powered lantern, and flashlights. And there was an old Radio Shak radio/tape player, battery powered.

So, I pulled out one of our travel tapes, made in July, 1996, with my sister, Nita and I. The trip was made in out 1991 Mercury Sable, and we drove from Memphis to Yellowstone, staying in Twin Falls, Idaho, then down to Green River, Utah and through Tucumcari, New Mexico.

I made entries such as odometer reading, time, and location, and what we did or saw. Once again I heard my precious Nita's voice, as well as that of my sister, as they commented on being in a buffalo herd, seeing moose, elk, or birds.

Sure made a dark, quiet evening meaningful.

Bob Wright

blammer

Single-Sixer
Good story. Disruptions forcing us to live more simply have their rewards. And they make me very thankful for the trappings of civilization and all those who contribute to keeping it going.

My wife is from Twin Falls. Did you see any base jumpers going off the Perrine Bridge?

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Good story. Disruptions forcing us to live more simply have their rewards. And they make me very thankful for the trappings of civilization and all those who contribute to keeping it going.

My wife is from Twin Falls. Did you see any base jumpers going off the Perrine Bridge?

No, Sir. We would leave our motel early in the morning and return late in the evening. Did see many fly fishermen, though!

black1970

Single-Sixer
When the wind blows over 10 mph in Memphis there are at least 4000 people without power thanks to the very well run Memphis Light Gas and Water. Hey Bob, tell the folks here why.

Nice. I bet it is good to hear everyone’s voice and relive the vacation.

I really enjoyed getting to know my wife’s grandparents. One night we stayed up late and he taught us some old Russian drinking songs; I’ve got them on video. Every now and then I go back and watch them.

Montelores

Buckeye
Great story, Bob.

The present, the past, and the connection between the two.

Beautiful, and elegantly presented.

Thank you.

Monty

Last edited:

Johnny-Baseball

Bearcat
At Christmastime 1970, my two aunts mailed to me a cassette tape they had made to "cheer me up" while I was stationed at a jungle detachment on Mindanao, PI. My roommate (and still my best friend) stole that tape and then played it at our next Commander's call for all 18 of us to hear (two guys missed it while they manned our ops room). My aunts, to my surprise, told several "blue" jokes on topics unbecoming in mixed adult company. But the most laughs came from everyone hearing my aunts' "Texas twangs" - slow-motion commentary that the food was reeeeeel guud, and the Christmas family get-together was reeeell niiiice (to pronounce these words correctly, one must say them with a tightly clinched jaw). I cringed. [Hint: I was the only member of the 20-person detachment from south and/or west of Illinois. I actually felt sympathy for these "foreigners" who had never been taught to properly pronounce and enunciate the English language.] Great memory. I talk by phone twice a year with the Det Commander and his bride of 50 years - he from Sparks, NV and me from DFW. And I speak monthly with my roommate/best friend (Bill) and his bride of 49 years (Jeanie) - they live in Denver. Unfortunately, my more recent calls have been primarily with Jeanie as Bill slides into rapidly advancing Alzheimer's.

KIR

Single-Sixer
Interesting things happen when power goes out and the repercussions...
Many years ago, I read about NYC having a power outage and 9 months later, hospital maternity wards were flooded with mothers having new-borns.
Back in the 70's, my neighborhood had a blackout that lasted overnight. A new neighbor came over to inquire about it. I had a battery operated lantern and a Panasonic cassette player to which we listened to music most of the night. Romantic night ensued, but no complications 9 mos. later.
Aw, memories.........

Latest posts