Practice Bullet Weight for Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mljones1947

Bearcat
I'm a new shooter who has gotten reasonably accurate with Single Six 22LR and am in the process of getting a 4" Security Six for home defense. After reading a zillion opinions, I think that I'm going to use 125 gr JHP 38 SPL+P ammo while the gun is at home.

Without opening the can of worms about whether that's the best decision, here's my question, the answer to which I still have not been able to fathom:

Shooting at paper while I'm learning to fire the larger gun, and for periodic practice once I do, what weight bullets should I use in regular (non +P) ammo to minimize any differences in bullet placement at 7-15 yards? (I will shoot a few rounds of the hotter stuff periodically after I get established.) I see 125 gr, 130 gr and 158 gr rounds available. Does it make a difference at that distance? Or is the answer "Whatever you can find these days!"

Thanks.

At 7 to 15 yards, bullet placement is more a result of how you shoot the gun, and how well you tolerate recoil.

As you've guessed, shoot whatever is handy.

But, when the chips are down, DO practice with, and DO know, where your gun shoots with the ammo you're normally going to carry.

Being a fan of Security Sixes, I keep my gun sighted in for heavy .357 loads, but when I'm at the range, shooting short distances, any and all .38's continue to shoot center of mass.

WAYNO.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If you shoot regular 158gr 38 specials for practice they should be close-on to the point of impact of the slightly lighter and hotter self-defense ammo. At least that is my experience. Try it and see. :D :D

...Jimbo

1ruger

Single-Sixer
How accurately can you shoot your Security Six?
Shooting duble action at 7-15 yards what kind of group do you get?
For most shooters with decent skills, the the POI with your S-D ammo and any practice ammo will make almost no difference when shot fairly fast in double action.

BTW. shooting at a static paper target 7-15 yards away at moderate speed will get you some very basic skills for self-defense use but you should try to practice more "real-life" scenario. Learn to shoot fast multiple shots at close (less than 3 yards) target and maybe even have more than one target. Practice one handed shooting, weak hand only, etc.

I'll shut up now...

Boxhead

Blackhawk
My 2 1/2" Security Six shoots the Winchester "white box" 130 gr (IIRC) truncated jacketed load very well. I get them at Walmart, pretty cheap too. It would be fine practice ammo for your purpose.

Blue Brick

Bearcat
15 yards out, my 1st time out with her.

DSC01879.jpg

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag":11r4gzri said:
If you shoot regular 158gr 38 specials for practice they should be close-on to the point of impact of the slightly lighter and hotter self-defense ammo. At least that is my experience. Try it and see. :D :D

...Jimbo
Jimbo is right. My Police Service Six I can group real good at 10 to 15 yrds with 158gr ammo. A 125 gr defense round that has higher speed would be real close a say 10 yrds. Any less weight would shoot low. Now I have a fixed sight revolver. The Security Six has adjustable so you can sight in for difference weights. I stay in the range of 140 to 158. Still a lot of good ammo for that weight range.

Hope this helps,
roaddog28

mljones1947

Bearcat
1ruger":1bjqsux7 said:
How accurately can you shoot your Security Six?
Consistently 4-inch or less grouping at 7 yards. Still working on 15 yards. Some 6-inch groups, some I don't even want to talk about.

Shooting duble action at 7-15 yards what kind of group do you get?

Still haven't received the gun.

BTW. shooting at a static paper target 7-15 yards away at moderate speed will get you some very basic skills for self-defense use but you should try to practice more "real-life" scenario. Learn to shoot fast multiple shots at close (less than 3 yards) target and maybe even have more than one target. Practice one handed shooting, weak hand only, etc.

Will do.

mljones1947

Bearcat
roaddog28":149o3eak said:
Jimbo357mag":149o3eak said:

...Jimbo
Jimbo is right. My Police Service Six I can group real good at 10 to 15 yrds with 158gr ammo. A 125 gr defense round that has higher speed would be real close a say 10 yrds. Any less weight would shoot low. Now I have a fixed sight revolver. The Security Six has adjustable so you can sight in for difference weights. I stay in the range of 140 to 158. Still a lot of good ammo for that weight range.

Hope this helps,
roaddog28

Definitely helps. 158 it is. Thanks again.