Powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mandan

Bearcat
I have recently started reloading. I stated out with "Clay's Universal".
It seems like good powder but it seems like it is a dirty powder.
I want to use a powder that I can use for 38/357, 45acp, and 9mm.
Waht do you vastly more experienced reloaders use?
Dan

Snake45

Hawkeye
I'm a big fan of Winchester 231, which is also sold under the name HP38. Burns clean, measures accurately, makes accurate loads. What's not to like? I've loaded it in all three cartridges you asked about.

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
I don't load 9mm, but for .357 and .45acp Hodgdon Longshot works well. I always keep plenty on hand, since it's my powder of choice for 12 gauge hunting loads too.
JMHO, but most "shotgun" powders are going to be "dirty."

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I do, but each cartridge may be loaded to many differing performance levels, so.......

9x19: for everyday 'making Minor' utterly reliable non-stressing-but-enough-oomph I use Winchester Action Pistol "WAP" (now discontinued, but its equivalent is Ramshot Silhouette, the exact same powder --data is interchangeable-- but with slightly enhanced flash and temperature reducers).
For the highest performance I use Vihtavuori 3N37.

38 Special: W231, and Universal Clays (commonly referred to as Universal).
357 Magnum: Universal for non-violent shooting; magnum-level performance powder choice is based on specific bullet, so I choose between N350, 2400, AA9, H110, N110, and W296.

45 ACP: W231. Look no further.
(For not-recommended utterly dangerous extreme-performance ammo I stuff cases with Alliant Power Pistol, and N350.)

Any help?
I keep over 20 handgun-powder choices on my shelves.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I use Unique for light plinking and 2400 for "thumpers" in .44

If you think universal is dirty...holy cow...Unique would ring your bell. Filthy, but good

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
jpb in me":2g2i4yi5 said:
anyone have a recommendation for 44 mag hunting ammo and 44 special for plinking/

When I couldn't get H-110 for a while I went to Acurate #9 for the Big Boy 44mag loads. Works great. 20.0gr with a 240gr XTP, WLP primer.

My plinking load for the 44 special is 5.2gr of HP-38 with a 240-200gr bullet, lead or copper plated. :D

...Jimbo

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
231 works for me in all those rounds, but as Weshoot2 points out, there are different pereformance levels. 9/38/45 231 has given me good standard performance. 357 needs a slower powder for high performance.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Unique is the most versatile powder made, it works in all shotshell (except .410) and all handgun cartridges.

OTOH, I load Titegroup in all the cartridges you mention, Red Dot also works, but data is a little more scattered for that and its not very clean (lots of retardants). Most powders are cleaner on the upper end of the pressure range, 9 and 357 are high pressure, 38 Special and .45 ACP are very low and will almost assuredly be dirtier to load for.

Mandan

Bearcat
Thank you for your responses! Lots to think about. I am still open for advice.
I bought a set of 45acp dies this weekend. Will use up the rest of the "Universal" and then I will have to decide what I am going to use.
I am mostly reloading for target practice. I am loading only lead bullets at this time.
I only use factory ammo for self defense. Lot less for the lawyers to throw at me if I ever did have to use a firearm in a self-defense situation.
Thank you again,
Dan

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I can't speak for 9mm or 38/357 because I've never loaded any of them, but everyone that says Win231 for 45acp is absolutely right. I get it when I can, it's been hard for me to find. I did pick up a jug of Win AutoComp about six months ago, to test out in the 45acp and 45lc. Haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet though. Stupid job getting in the way of my hobbies :wink:

Mandan

Bearcat
Thank you one and all. Some good info here. I wll try and figure out what I am going to use when the Universal runs out. Talking with a dealer at the gunshow last weekend. He said most of the smoke I am seeing is probably from the lube on the lead bullets. Suggested I use Lee's Liquid Alox bullet lube before loading. Said it will help reduce the smoke and also the leading in the barrell. Any experience with this?
Thanks again,
Dan

Latest posts