powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
I load for 44 mag, and am looking for a steal on a 45 lc. However, I also load light. (44 loads are 200 gr, 6 grs of unique) I am concerned that with the larger volume of the 45, such light loads may not fill the case enough.

Can anyone recommend a more voloumenous powder that will get similar results as unique, but take up more space in the case.

I have no problem changing powder for all such loads in both calibers.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I personally use WST as my light load powder in 45 Colt, especially for my SASS shooting. I have also used it in 44 Mag for SASS and general shooting. 231 also works great, it just doesn't fill the case as much as WST. Although WST does not fill the case, it has worked for me for 1000's of rounds.

sixshot

Buckeye
TBO, you will never get enough Unique in any magnum case to even get it half full, 44 or 45 colt but its still a very good powder in both. When using the fast burners its extra important to check that you don't have a double charge or maybe no charge at all. I'm sure you already know this :lol: Trail Boss powder was developed to give more volume so the case is somewhat full, I don't have any experience with it myself, its mainly for the cowboy action crowd but I'm sure will work with reduced loads in your guns

I'm saying, stay with Unique for your medium loads, some will say Universal (cleaner) but Unique is more bulky than most of the fast powders.

Dick

mt

Single-Sixer
My standard load for 45 Colt with 250 or 255 gr. LSWC is 8.0 grs. of Unique. It doesn't come close to filling the case. Working on memory because I'm too lazy to go out to the shop for my loading manuals, I'd say that the books won't list a load under 7.0 grs of Unique.

Load experimentation has become somewhat of a problem lately with the lack of available powder. Luckily I've stocked up on Unique, 231 and IMR 4350 so the basics are covered.

mt

mattsbox99

Hunter
45 Colt doesn't have much more case volume than a .44 Mag... it shouldn't be a concern.

I use Green Dot and Red Dot in both cartridges.

contender

Ruger Guru
I like using the TrailBoss powder for lighter loads in a few guns. It fills the case & gives good results in both 44's & 45's. I also use it in 38 spl cowboy loads.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
two bit okie":1ceqwo9j said:
I load for 44 mag, and am looking for a steal on a 45 lc. However, I also load light. (44 loads are 200 gr, 6 grs of unique) I am concerned that with the larger volume of the 45, such light loads may not fill the case enough.

Can anyone recommend a more voloumenous powder that will get similar results as unique, but take up more space in the case.

I have no problem changing powder for all such loads in both calibers.
Fill the excess volume with a filler.

I don't have the data in front of me, but when my friend and I took his 500 Smith out for a spin (and my brand new chronograph) we found that the practice loads we made with a light load of Trail Boss powder (which filled the case about one-quarter full) there was a significant velocity difference bewteen shots fired when we pointed the gun up before leveling to the target (putting the powder to the rear of the cartridge) and shots fired when we pointed the gun down before leveling to the target (putting the powder to the front of the cartridge). Obviously, powder position makes a difference, even in a powder that is not supposed to be particularly position sensitive.

Some folks loading reduced loads with lots of extra space in the case will put a barrier (cardboard disk?) in the case to keep the powder up against the primer, with kapok or cornmeal to fill the rest of the case to guarantee everything stays put.

Trail Boss is a bit dirty, but cleans up easily. It also stinks faintly after firing. Don't sniff your gun and you will be OK.

Coincidentally, your question came at the same time as a similar question regarding the 454 Casull. The same answer applied to both. But the other answer also merited a warning against reduced loads of slow powders.

I used to use Bullseye for reduced loads in 357 Magnum cases, but that stuff is scary dense. Very easy to double charge a case. I started using it because it gave the most rounds per pound. So, it is VERY energy-dense.

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post. Maybe especially this post.

Do your own independent, confirming research when ANYONE gives you new facts on the web.

Also remember, even the idiotic stuff might have a kernel of truth buried in there somewhere.

Lost Sheep

contender

Ruger Guru
The use of fillers is an answer to an old question. Fillers have been and will be used for many, many years.
I use a poly pillow filler when I use something like bullseye or other very light loads & there is a lot of case air space. Time consuming, but worth the efforts.

Onty

Single-Sixer
two bit okie":2reah564 said:
I load for 44 mag, and am looking for a steal on a 45 lc...

If you did not purchase 45 LC revolver yet, think about combo 45LC/45ACP.

Now, regardless of what you have; just standard 45LC or 45LC/45ACP, consider this:

Cowboy_.45_Special_brass_pics.jpg
colt-to-cowboy-comparison-205x171.jpg
dicks-bullet-web-2-210x159.jpg

Website http://www.cowboy45special.com/cowboy45brass.html .

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Trail Boss!

I load for a 45 LC 'conversion cylinder', so have to keep the loads LIGHT. I do NOT like to load anything that doesn't fill the case to at least half full, and Trail Boss is the only powder that works for me with these conditions.

Rclark

Hunter
Trail Boss. Fills the case nicely. I load 6g with good results (pushing 250 RNFP) . Another nice thing about TB it is very easy to see when you under/over load a case. Just never use compressed loads of TB (so they say). Also use it in my .357s 5g pushing 125g TC bullets....