Powder question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Paul B

Hunter
6gun said:
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

Added to the list, I've loaded a lot of both .38s and 9mm w/ the now discontinued Win 540. According to Hodgdon's, TODAY'S version of HS-6 is identical.

Can't say it was always that way, so to keep your loading data and powder mfr dates pretty close to each other, as was suggested to me decades ago, isn't bad advice.

And just to stir the fire, I've used more Unique than several others combined. For pretty much the same reasons Paul B mentioned: it's hard to find another powder that does so well across such a wide range of applications.Rick C

231 is not hard to find. :D

No, I have a good supply of W231. However, W231 is a faster burning powder than Unique closer to Bullseye in burning rate. When I load .38 Spl. wadcutter target loads, my pet load is 3.1 gr. of bullseye or W231. Point of impact is exactly the same from my revolver.
I shoot cast bullets almost exclusively in my handguns. The exception being the factory loads in my CCW weapon. Practice is with equivilant power cast bullet loads though. The only difference between Bullseye, Unique and 2400 is the size of the flake and the deterrent coating on the powder. It's too bad #6 and 5066 were discontinued as in my .45 ACP loads 5066 was just about equal to Unique in power as I recall. FWIW, with cast bullets all those powders are dirty. It's the soot and lube combine that makes the mess. I understand the latest version of Unique is supposed to be cleaner but I'm still working on the last big cannister I bought.
Paul B.

Tellico

Buckeye
I forgot Trail Boss. 5.0 gr TB with a 200gr SWC in .45 ACP is as clean and accurate as anything else I have tried in many years. except for Vihtavuori n350.
Fred

PS No 231 in MT that I can find.

Cholo

Staff member
I've lucked into 2 #'s of 231 in the last month. It's been very scarce around here. When I had gotten below a #, I started loading my 45ACP's with Unique. Love it or hate it, I can load most any handgun caliber with Unique and it does just fine.

6gun

Hunter
I've been real lucky to have a LGS that aways has what ever powder I want in stock, I think he always has a supply cause he don't put it out on the shelf he keeps it in back and you have to ask for it, I think most people don't know to ask and just don't know he sells powder. :D

DGW1949

Hunter
FWIW.....If the more-recent Unique is any cleaner-burning than the old Unique, I can't tell the difference. Thankfully though, I can't tell any difference on the target either....meaning that 40 years after my playing-around with various pistol-powders, it's still about all I use.

DGW

dougader

Hunter
If target loads in 9mm and 38 is on the menu then 231 is a fine powder for the task at hand, as are AA2, WST, American Select, Zip, Solo 1000 and the like.

I'd use Power Pistol, WAP/Silhouette, HS6, AA7 and other medium burn powders for max and +p loadings of these two calibers.

6gun

Hunter
dougader said:
If target loads in 9mm and 38 is on the menu then 231 is a fine powder for the task at hand, as are AA2, WST, American Select, Zip, Solo 1000 and the like.

I'd use Power Pistol, WAP/Silhouette, HS6, AA7 and other medium burn powders for max and +p loadings of these two calibers.

How is Power Pistol compared to 231 for 45acp ? I have never used Power Pistol since I only shoot revolvers, I have been teaching my kid to reload since he has a 45 auto, I'm trying to get him to experiment more with different loads, so far all he has tried is 231 which works very well and very accurate, but I hear Power Pistol is a great choice also just wondering if it better for auto pistols.?

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
6gun said:
How is Power Pistol compared to 231 for 45acp ? I have never used Power Pistol since I only shoot revolvers

Hi,

6gun, I haven't loaded it either, but understand from Alliant's literature when it was new that it was originally designed for 9mm use. Also understand it's a very good choice there!

Since then, they've added both auto and revolver recipes. Here are some to take a look at:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=8

Good luck!

Rick C

6gun

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
6gun said:
How is Power Pistol compared to 231 for 45acp ? I have never used Power Pistol since I only shoot revolvers

Hi,

6gun, I haven't loaded it either, but understand from Alliant's literature when it was new that it was originally designed for 9mm use. Also understand it's a very good choice there!

Since then, they've added both auto and revolver recipes. Here are some to take a look at:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=8

Good luck!

Rick C

Thanks for the link Rick, I compared the velocity for loading 45acp in 230gr. looking at the power pistol compared to 231, the power pistol looks to be a bit higher in velocity but uses a whole lot more powder to load, think were better off sticking with 231, not worth all the extra powder to get only a tiny gang in power. thanks anyway.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Think of Power Pistol as a 'slow' W231, or a wee bit 'slower' than Unique in certain cartridge cases (or 'faster' in others); think of it as just as versatile as W231 or Unique.
Except for higher-velocity versatility.

In the 45 ACP it produces the highest velocities; it, with proper loads, deliver stellar accuracy.

I've used it myself in 9x19, 9x21, 38 Super and Special, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W (where it shines), 10mm, 41 AE and Magnum, 44 Magnum, and 45 ACP and Colt.

I reload .38, .357, 44 spcl, 44mag. I have red dot, 2400, 296, & 4227(which I haven't opened yet), also varget for my rifles when I get Round to reloading for them .
gramps