Powder & Bullets for Mini-14 Tactical?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zebrajeb

Bearcat
Looking for suggestions especially on powder for reloading 223 for my new Mini-14 tactical. I've reloaded 223 in the past but powders have changed a lot in the past 10 years and I've run out of my W-748 supply!

Also, what weight of bullet does the new Mini-14 like - 62 gr?

Just looking to see what experience is of others.

Thanks

John

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
Hello John: You will have to try several bullets to see which your rifle likes best. What is the twist rate?? A 1 in 7 will stabilize heavier bullets (62-75). I would try H335 powder which was designed for 223 varment/benchrest. Another is blc2. My load in military cases is H335 and 55 gr. bullets. In my Savage, H335 24.7 gr and 50 gr Speer tnt. Pressures are higher in thick military cases, so you have to start at low end and work up. I find middle of the road loads are the most accurate. hth greg

zebrajeb

Bearcat
New Mini-14 is 1 in 9 twist. I've got some left over 55gr FMJ bullets so I've loaded a few of those to test. I plan to test several others as well but that is what I have on hand at the moment.

All my brass is military - LC. Got about 2000 rounds laying around that I've not used before and about 500 that have been cleaned, trimmed and resized with RCSB X-die.

I've got some IMR 4895 powder but nothing else for rifle. Used W-748 in the past but just used the last of it to make some test loads.

Thanks for suggestions.

John

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I've had pretty good results with H-322 and Varget, using Armscor 62gr bullets. I haven't spent enough time (I haven't HAD any time) to really work the load up to it's full potential, but so far it's made some great "plinking" ammo.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Your 4895 would would be a fine choice. If I was to buy new I'd get some Ramshot TAC to try out & stay with 55 grn bullets.

zebrajeb

Bearcat
sourdough44":2413myv0 said:
Your 4895 would would be a fine choice. If I was to buy new I'd get some Ramshot TAC to try out & stay with 55 grn bullets.

Well, I've got almost a full can of the IMR-4895 so could use it for now before getting some new powder. Hate to waste powder even if it is about 15 years old!

Thanks

John

dougader

Hunter
I never found either of the mini 14's I've owned to be match grade accurate, but good enough for tactical rifle courses out to 100-200 yards.

I usually just picked bulk Winchester 55 fmj bullets and whatever powder in the top of the velocity range that was priced best. But it also lead to some decent loads in a Colt HBAR as well.

I used to load the 55 fmj's with 25 grains AA2230 and it worked well. Another good powder I used was H335.