Post 2011 SP101 .22LR Wolff spring kit #17114 questions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jalopiejoe

Bearcat
I have a 2013 SP101 22LR that I installed the pre-2011 spring kit #17113 adding an 11# to that kit. With the 8# trigger spring and the 11# hammer spring it was fairly reliable, an occasional FTF.
I did polish it up inside and added a shim kit!
I recently found that Wolff came out with a newly engineered kit #17114 for the post 2011 guns like mine. So I called Wolff and they confirmed that this kit was specially engineered for the new model .22LR.
The lightest hammer spring in this kit is 13# all the springs are shorter than the earlier kit.
I just installed the 13# spring the pull is still heavy but I understand it needs to be to set off the rimfire cartridges.
We use this gun to kill rattlesnakes around our home with bird-shot and the problem is my wife has a tough time pulling back the hammer, even worse trying to use it DA.
Has anyone come up with the "Just Right" combo for this .22 revolver?
I would like to hear from those of you that have experimented with the spring kits, how to get a lighter pull yet a reliable ignition! Thanks!

I tried the lighter return spring in mine because my wife could not cock the hammer very well either. The trigger return was sketchy with the lighter spring so I did a really good polish job in the trigger group and on the hammer strut, that made the return much more reliable and the pull silky smooth. I decided, since the trigger pull was so much smoother after the work I did, to put the stock return spring back in and the trigger return was perfect(as is should be), plus, my wife had no trouble cocking the gun. The end result is a trigger that's stiff but very smooth and reliable that just keeps getting better with more shooting. If your wife still has trouble cocking the gun after polishing I would recommend only the lighter return spring.

http://www.sp101trigger.com/

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
woodsy said:
This thread needs an edit from the moderators.
The OP should delete the other duplicate threads. There is a 'delete' button on the bottom right of the posts as long as no one has posted after the original.

...as far as reduced trigger and hammer pull on a .22 SP-101, it ain't going to happen. You can play around with the springs all you want but to get reliable ignition the pull is going to have to be heavy. It is the design of the gun. A larger gun like a GP-100 would be much easier or a gun with a different design like an LCR - .22 might be the solution.

jalopiejoe

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
woodsy said:
This thread needs an edit from the moderators.
The OP should delete the other duplicate threads. There is a 'delete' button on the bottom right of the posts as long as no one has posted after the original.

...as far as reduced trigger and hammer pull on a .22 SP-101, it ain't going to happen. You can play around with the springs all you want but to get reliable ignition the pull is going to have to be heavy. It is the design of the gun. A larger gun like a GP-100 would be much easier or a gun with a different design like an LCR - .22 might be the solution.

Duplicate threads Deleted

jalopiejoe

Bearcat
A follow-up to my original thread.
I installed the 13# spring along with the 8# trigger spring. The gun operates very smoothly and reduced the SA and DA pull. Springs in the new style kit appear to be shorter (less pre-load?).
Puts a pretty good dent in the rim!
Anyway I have shot about 200 rounds and so far 1 FTF. The Wolff #17114 kit works well in the newer SP101's!
I am very happy with this modification so far and highly recommend it! If I run into problems I will keep you posted!
My wife now has no problem operating my SP101 now!