Possibly found my next project, an Old Model .357 Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I stopped at a gun shop today, they had an Old Model Blackhawk in .357, 4 5/8" barrel that hasn't been back to the factory yet for the transfer bar. It's got a couple issues, I noticed the action screws are set out a bit, like someone didn't get them back in all the way after putting it back together. The grips are pretty well worn, and the ejector rod housing is worn down to the point the end by the barrel it's actually been reshaped. It's missing the rear sight blade, the rest of the sight is there though. The finish is about 50% but the one good thing is the action is really slick and the bore is excellent.
The shop wants $325 so it might be worth tinkering with.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I absolutely LOVE projects. Buy it at once and show us what you do with it! :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
Dick is right. You know you are going to buy it.

Screws can be replaced, as can the ERH. A rear blade for the sight is also easily found.
As for the finish,, depending upon how it is,, you could dress it up,,,, or leave it with all it's character.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Flat top or ribbed sight?

Buy it. What kind of project are you thinking about? Cal change?

You can get a steel ejector housing. You'll just have to drill the screw hole big enough for your screw.

If the sight is not steel with Micro stamped on the top, you might as well get a complete replacement. Ruger will send you a free part for any part less than $20. Just ask for the blade and state your barrel length. Call (336) 949-5200

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
Flat top or ribbed sight?

Buy it. What kind of project are you thinking about? Cal change?

You can get a steel ejector housing. You'll just have to drill the screw hole big enough for your screw.

If the sight is not steel with Micro stamped on the top, you might as well get a complete replacement. Ruger will send you a free part for any part less than $20. Just ask for the blade and state your barrel length. Call (336) 949-5200

She's not a flat top, it has the ribbed sight. I was thinking about a steel housing but not really sure how far I want to go with this gun. I know I won't change the caliber, I have too much of a fondness for .357 Magnum to want to do that. The grip frame isn't too bad. The timing and action is so good I think I will take the gun down just enough to clean it and then I would put it back together. There's nothing I can do until after pay day but apparently no one really seems to be interested in it. Most shooters up here are young guys so they're more Glock and semi auto shooters so here's hoping it's there until I can get a down payment on it next week.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Not to throw water on the fire, but in my area $325 seems to be a little high for the condition you described. For $50- $75 more you can normally pickup an OM Blackhawk that is in very good condition with all the parts; that's if you're patient and wait for the deal to come along.

If you're objective is to only tinker with the gun and bring it back to life, go for it! Heck, what's $75 bucks worth these days anyhow, dinner for four at Chili's (not including drinks)?