Possible custom project ~ What's your ideas?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Keep the 4" barrel.

Blast that baby down to virgin metal and look into some of the new types of finishes that could be applied. Don't just do a boring reblue. Have it parkerized and throw a night sight on the front. Do something cool. When it's done, finish the project with some nice leather for it.

I don't know what you paid but let's say you paid $225 for it. I have shoes that cost that much. Tear into it and don't look back.

The reason I say keep the 4" barrel is because the cost factor may go way up, for your project, if you start fooling with barrel work. Even if you do the work yourself....what if you goof it up? That could turn into a nightmare, really quick. Plus, I love the feel of the 4" models. They seem to stay planted, in a holster, better than the snubbies in that line-up.

dbarale

Obsolete
Here's what I did. Picked up a 4" that had been painted green with krylon and never put back together.
Swapped the barrel for a 2.75", round butted the frame to a speed six profile, bobbed the hammer, trigger smoothing, lightly melted/dehorned, parkerized and Tgrip. Front sight is home made and has since been modified to a Millett "replica".

Looks like this:

nudes068.jpg

If I were you I would not bother with swapping out the barrel. I would cut this one and use one of Bowen front sight bases that allows quick replacement of the front sight, about the same price as a replacement barrel too ($45). That would be my next project if I ever come accross a cheap Sec Six again.

BCA%20DX%20RH%20ft.%20st.%20base.jpg

wixedmords

Blackhawk
That's a great looking Security Six dbarale.

It's all business. A little of that "t" word looking.

Looks like the front sight would lend itself more to a bedside situation rather than a carry situation.

It came out great. Nice job. ;)

Perkes45

Bearcat
I bead blasted my SP101 a few years ago and am very pleased with the results. My gun now has a unique look and it only cost me some time and energy. I would suggest that it is worth your time and effort to do the best job you can taping off the parts you don't want blasted before you start. If I remember correctly, I stuck a dowel wrapped in cloth in the barrel to protect the riflingl. As it was, It took me forever to get the beads and dust out of the little nooks and cranies even though I thought I had done a good job with the masking tape.

dbarale

Obsolete
wixedmords":2jajo7y6 said:
It's all business. A little of that "t" word looking.

Looks like the front sight would lend itself more to a bedside situation rather than a carry situation.

T word? Timid? Tepid? Tutu? :shock:

Here's a couple of pics of the modified sight. First one is a little blurry but show how bright it is even without the flash.

cs001.jpg

cs003.jpg

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I'd go with "Tutu" as a "tactic" dbarale. :)

Very nice. I like the angle cut of the front sight.

The flat finish is memorizing, how does it wear? I always wonder if cleaning has a tendency to smooth out or buff spots in flat finishes but it is still one of my favorites to look at.

A target gray finish, and porting would be two things that come to mind hittman. Still thinking though.

maxpress

Buckeye
dbarele wrote:
Here's what I did. Picked up a 4" that had been painted green with krylon and never put back together.

GREEN with KRYLON. if theres ever been a handgun offense worth going to jail for that has to be it.