Porch Pirates Privacy Rights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
Canadian Police Say 'Porch Pirates' Have a Right to Privacy[
JAN 11, 2024

Even alleged criminals, including those caught on camera, have presumed innocence and in Canada — well, at least a right to privacy. Police in Quebec have warned residents against posting surveillance footage from home security cameras, like Ring doorbell cameras, on social media.

Residents in the picturesque Montreal West, where many homes have large porches, have become the target of so-called "porch pirates," especially during the holiday season.
"It's something we deal with on a daily basis," Montreal West councilor responsible for public security Lauren Small-Pennefather tells CTV.

"You have people that are following the vehicles, and when they see a parcel that's dropped off, they then go and take the parcel if nobody comes to the door to retrieve the parcel," she adds.

While it can be tempting for people to post home surveillance footage online, especially in hopes of identifying individuals (s) who stole their packages, provincial police are pleading with people to keep the footage to themselves.

"You cannot post the images yourself because you have to remember, in Canada, we have a presumption of innocence and posting that picture could be a violation of private life," says police communications officer Lieutenant Benoit Richard.
"If you get some proof that somebody might have stolen something, call the police, give that proof to the police," Richard says. "We'll do the investigation, bring that person to justice and file some charges."

The rights of a purported criminal are a complex topic everywhere, but especially so in Canada. In 2016, as CBC reported, the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (RNC) told businessowners not to post photos of alleged shoplifters on social media.

"We always caution people that they could open themselves up to civil liability, in cases where somebody is a youth, for example," said Constable Geoff Higdon at the time.

Whenever amateur sleuths get involved in trying to investigate or solve a crime, there is a very real risk of misidentifying someone and getting an innocent individual wrapped up in some controversy. Of course, police are not immune to such mistakes, either, but it stands to reason that, restricted by time-tested protocols, law enforcement is at least less likely to err.

Unsurprisingly, some people think it absurd that people caught red-handed on camera committing crimes have a right to privacy.

Source: https://petapixel.com/2024/01/11/canadian-police-say-porch-pirates-have-a-right-to-privacy/

I'm sorry.... one's front yard is consider public just like out on the street.... I still can't figure out why google street view blocks numbers on mailboxes, houses and car license plates.... If I posted a picture or a video of someone taking a package off my porch and they had an issue with it... let 'em come on with it.....what are they going to do sue me? that would be a fun day in court.

el caminero

Blackhawk
I'm sorry.... one's front yard is consider public just like out on the street.... I still can't figure out why google street view blocks numbers on mailboxes, houses and car license plates.... If I posted a picture or a video of someone taking a package off my porch and they had an issue with it... let 'em come on with it.....what are they going to do sue me? that would be a fun day in court.
Googool street view even blanks out the mile marker numbers, exit signs, and bridge clearance signs! Googool can be such an idiot!

XP100

Blackhawk
Canada used to be a place where great people had common sense. Today, that is no longer true. I am positive there still are many great Canadians, but the government there is just as bad as it is in the USA these days.
I think it is something in the water that causes the loss of common sense and that water is rapidly flowing South.

gnappi

Blackhawk
I think it is something in the water that causes the loss of common sense and that water is rapidly flowing South.
The peeps that come here flee the northeast and Cali mania but bring their politics, policies and vote count with them.

gnappi

Blackhawk
Canada used to be a place where great people had common sense. Today, that is no longer true. I am positive there still are many great Canadians, but the government there is just as bad as it is in the USA these days.
I once saw a documentary on a Canadian railroad and highway that ran east and west and the "news" guys stopped a fellow in hid field and asked about Canadian politics, he told them... (paraphrased)

"When the damn fools divided up North America they went horizontally East / West, and the SHOULD have divided it North / South vertically" :)

So, my question is if you post the picture of someone supposedly stealing something off of your porch... and let's say it is in Canada where they have warned you against this .... who and how are they going to prosecute you.. is the local district attorney going to do this and if they do who is going to 'back it up'. the pirate or is the pirate who stole your package going to sue you?
I guess I need to click on the link in the OP's post.

el caminero

Blackhawk
Ita much worse up there and has been for many years.
Sometime back, they supposedly had a questionnaire the at the border for entering truckers; supposedly wanting to know how many firearms, what make/model/serial number, and (even harder to believe its a legit story) where do you keep them.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I remember visiting Quebec Province a couple decades back. The border guard (in his glass booth) reminded us that dog-spray was illegal in Canada. Took him quite a while to repeat it several times. After our return to the States, I did some research. Turns out there was some student protest sit-ins near Toronto during which the police used dog-spray on the students to make them get up and move. After that, the Canadian Parliament banned all use of dog spray BY ANYONE, no matter what the situation was. A little more research showed that BEAR SPRAY was still legal, which has the exact same ingredients. So for all our following trips to Canada I carry bear spray. Depends on what the label calls it, not what is inside.

Latest posts