Polymer vs. ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CATTLEDAWG

Bearcat
I used to have a P95 that I liked a lot...I found a P93 and LOVE it...it just feels better in my hand and I think being a little heavier helps me stay on target somewhat...It almost looks like polymer will eventually be the only choice for new semi autos and I wanted to get some opinions on preferences of polymer frames over aluminum, etc...

Snake45

Hawkeye
I don't object to plastic frames in theory (would love to own a plastic-framed Colt Commander), but I have yet to see any actual plastic-framed pistol that I liked. Well, except for the Ruger .22/45.

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
MountainGator":1o0iw65x said:
Poly is lighter if you carry. If you carry imo that is a swinger.
I agree with that.

For daily carry, my polymer-framed S&W M&P .40 weighs 27.45 ounces, plus spare mag plus ammo. My all-steel .45 weighs 39 1/2 ounces, plus spare mag plus ammo.

That 12 ounce difference (3/4 lb.) is noticeable when wearing one all day, even with a good quality gun belt and holster.

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
Given that we are coming up on almost 100 years of the 1911, and many of the oldest ones are still shooters, how do you think polymer will hold up to the test of time? Anybody have knowledge of how the earliest Glocks from the 80s are doing?

No doubt about it, polymer really shines in the carry department.

P90

Single-Sixer
I don't know about the early Glocks, but I have a Remington Nylon 66 that looks just like it did the day I bought it. I would worry more about living long enough to see it deteriorate. I have a Ruger P90 and P97. I carry the 97 because of the weight and the Polymer grip fits my hand better.

Snake45

Hawkeye
A couple weeks ago I saw some high-speed video of R. Lee Ermey shooting a Glock. You could actually see the front part of the frame flexing like it was made of rubber. Apparently it doesn't affect function (because the thing works) but it wasn't especially confidence-inspiring. :shock:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Snake45":2pv4z94i said:
Apparently it doesn't affect function (because the thing works) but it wasn't especially confidence-inspiring. :shock:
Since the thing works, and apparently ALWAYS works, how much more confidence do you need?

Snake45

Hawkeye
22/45 Fan":1q41p7pm said:
Snake45":1q41p7pm said:
Apparently it doesn't affect function (because the thing works) but it wasn't especially confidence-inspiring. :shock:
Since the thing works, and apparently ALWAYS works, how much more confidence do you need?
I'm pretty sure the frames of my 1911s aren't shaking like a wet dog when I shoot them. :wink:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Snake45":2d7me2yd said:
22/45 Fan":2d7me2yd said:
Snake45":2d7me2yd said:
I'm pretty sure the frames of my 1911s aren't shaking like a wet dog when I shoot them. :wink:
So what does that show? The 1911 works, the Glock works. You are confusing appearance with function.

CATTLEDAWG

Bearcat
What are the chances Ruger will cease production on all alluminum framed semis in the future?...Personally, I hope this doesn't happen....and I'd like to see them bring back an alluminum framed 9mm...with a picatinny rail maybe...

Paine

Bearcat
I carry my P944 every day, literally all day. I use a strong side hip holster at work and I've also got the el cheap-o uncle mikes IWB size 15 for pretty much everything else. EVERYONE at work gives me crap cuz it's not a glock and it's SSSSOOOOO heavy but I really don't think there's that much weight to it. I've played with the 95s and the glocks and although they are noticeably lighter, I just can't get a feel for them. I haven't played with the SR9 yet so I can't say anything about those. In the end it's to each their own, but that's what keeps things interesting.