Polymer 10mm, my choice.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

First off, I have owned or shot most every 10mm semi-auto over the last 15 years. It started out with the 10** series of S&W's, various Colt Delta Elites, Kimber 1911's, SR1911's and a couple of Glock's, a 29 and a 20. I finally settled on a SAO Sig P220 5" which will digest any load and is very accurate and reliable. I have a Diamond D Guides Choice holster for it. This is not a hip holster pistol. Very heavy......

So, I put myself in the market for a lighter, reliable and durable 10mm that can handle the heavier loads. I owned a Glock 20 that fell apart in my hand when shooting some heavier loads from Double Tap I believe. Sold that pistol. WAYNO had a Springfield XD-M 10mm that I shot at the range and I was impressed with the way that it pointed like a 1911 and it felt good in the hand.
So, yesterday I bit the bullet and bought one.
This one has the 4.5" barrel which appeals to me for it's intended purpose. I look forward to getting some range time with this firearm.

Dave

Bear Paw Jack said:
Have you guys tried any of the heavier loads with it?

That's about all Wayne and I shoot..... Generally 1350' per sec with 180gr JHP load. I shoot Buffalo Bore, Grizzly and Double Tap in all my 10's. If the firearm won't handle the load then there is no use in having it...JMO of course. This one will get the pass/fail treatment as well. The one that Wayne had seemed to perform flawlessly.

loaded round said:
Can a polymer Glock handle the sress and pressure of a 10MM without coming apart?

Generally, yes. The only one I heard of "coming apart", was my own. The reason could have been some suspect reloaded ammo I picked up. I disassembled the ammo and reassembled the Glock 20 and sold it.

Cholo

Staff member
WAYNO said:
I sold mine, and like so many other times, I asked myself why I sold it. :?
You should have sold it to Dave and made a few bucks. Then you could have bought it back and Dave makes a few bucks. Keep doing that and you'd both be making a pretty good living off that gun :)

Cholo said:
WAYNO said:
I sold mine, and like so many other times, I asked myself why I sold it. :?
You should have sold it to Dave and made a few bucks. Then you could have bought it back and Dave makes a few bucks. Keep doing that and you'd both be making a pretty good living off that gun :)

Oh, had I offered it to him, he would have said he was downsizing. :mrgreen:

And as far as muzzle flash goes...

On paper, the 10mm is pretty impressive. But in actually shooting it, it is pretty calm. It defies physics. I've shot a lot of guns over a lot of years. Some are flashy, and some are not. Even comparing a 10mm to a .357 from the same revolver, the 10mm is a powder puff.

On the other hand, I've seen more case failures and broken firearms with the 10, than with any other handgun/cartridge combination.

WAYNO and I shot this pistol today. With normal range ammo it was accurate and functioned flawlessly. Switching to "+P" it became a little unruly for me to handle. However, it still functioned great. I did suffer a little bit of a sore finger with the "hot" stuff and am still on the fence as to whether I will keep it or not. I do have a buyer lined up however.....

Dave

Alas, after some minimal range time, I have reluctantly moved away from the XDM.
From my limited use, it was accurate and reliable right out of the box. My issue was with painful trigger slap. With standard range ammo it was tolerable. However, the +P stuff was too much. Painful and numbing to the trigger finger.
I am disappointed in that the feel and ergonomics of this pistol was well suited to me and if not for the trigger issues I would have been very satisfied.

ifithitu

Single-Sixer
When I come across a XDM 10mm 5.25" it's my next buy for sure.I already own a RIA 1911 A1 FS-TACT II 10mm, a Glock 40 10mm MOS. & Glock 29 10mm.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
ifithitu, Would like your opinion of the Glock 40. If not here perhaps a PM. Thanks

Bill

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I wish hk would make a 10mm usp pistol then you would have the best 10mm on earth .They testested a 40 sw usp and shot it 297000 times no problems you can't wear one out . The 10mm would be perfict in that gun and would not kick .I have heard of several 10mm glocks that went bad and people sent them back a BC sold them .Call hk tell the. You want a hk 10mm

hpman66

Hunter
New Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 in 10mm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhENtVGFxgc

&

Language warning(not much/bad, just warning):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxdP7z_LW2o

dgr416

Single-Sixer
Hk needs to make a usp pistol in 10 mm . That would be the best 10 mm ever made .If 5000 people call them to make them they might listen

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Strange . The G20 is generally considered the yardstick for durable 10mm , particularly with extra strength spring/ heavy guide rod assy . I'm curious about the " coming apart " ? Maybe a fluke ?

Are you actually chronographing these ?

Sig 10mm too heavy ? It's exactly in line with other powerful big bores . Between 4 in and 6 in ( traditional bbl profile S&W M29 , between 4 5/8 and 5.5 SBH , only cpl oz more than 1911 with rail . If you * prefer* chest holsters , good for you ! But all the above pistols can certainly be carried on then belt .

Latest posts