poll on sr9 owners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Has your SR9 "Peened" or had other problems?

• yes, i've had problems

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nope, no problems

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

deputy125

Bearcat
Just wondering. I know that sometimes a few problem guns keep getting repeated about on different threads. Gets sort of confusing as to how either wide spread or few the SR9 problems are.

Not really interested about returning a SR9 because of the recall, I'm more interested to see about peening problems and such requiring a trip back to ruger or parts replacement. Just a snap shot so to speak of forum members who either own or have owned the SR9.

I am considering purchasing the SR9. Ive had positive experiences with the KP89 and KP90. The SR9 sure does feel good in the hand and i'm tempted.

jhearne

Buckeye
Keep in mind that some that do have the Peening issue don't send their gun in for repair and either file the bur down or just ignore it until it causes problems. I've only even heard of one SR9 locking up due to excessive peening, that was a while back.

I voted no issues, though mine does exhibit some minor peening on the barrel lugs and some wear underneath. I'm not going to bother with Ruger unless the gun fails in some form, and over 2000 rounds with zero failures.

Josh

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
see im with them, i do have some peening but the gun has yet to have one FTF. so i can not consider it a problem... its more of a aesthetics thing
i voted no! and i have over 2300 rounds though her now

recoilguy

Bearcat
I own 2 SR-9's and have over 3K rounds down range between the 2. They are both very reliable and very accurate pistols. The issues read about are proabaly true and a real issue to a very few folks. I know 8 other shooters with SR-9's and we are all very happy and enjoy shhoting our weapons.

There are issues and some are perpetuated by the talking head type. Never owned one but can talk on the internet like they do or have, and will spread what they have heard like it is their own experiance.

A SR-9 is a good gun it may not hold its resale so it can not be called an investment unless you are investing in fun and reliable shooting. It is very easy to take down and clean too. I will not garantee you will be happy with an SR-9 but I am very happy with my 2. I own quite a few weapons so I have a good base to make comparisons.

RCG

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
I too voted for no problems. I have a post here somewhere with some pics of the marring or peendig of the barrel lugs but so far, the firearm has funtioned flawlessly. I did have a sticky mag release button but that was an easy fix and not something I would consider to be a serious issue.

I have 2 SR9's with around 2600 rounds between them. One having over 2200 of those. It'll still shoot quaters at 15 yards and make nice headshots at 20 to 25. With decent ammo anyway. It don't shoot worth a darn with that brown bear junk. But the sparks and stuff are fun.

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
I voted no problems also. I really enjoy shooting this gun it fits well in my hand only a few FTEs when I first got it (first simi auto).If I didn,t trust this gun I would not let my daughter shoot it and only when she runs out of mags do I get to shoot it, its a good thing I have a couple other guns,Dusterman

A

Anonymous

I bought the SR9 because I liked the way the gun felt in my hand and I am just getting back into shooting. The gun was a pain in the ass when I first got it. I have been a R and D machinist for over 25 yrs so troubleshooting it was no problem. I am getting some peening but I have just stoned it off. The seat area for the lockup looks fine. Now the SR9 is problem free and lots of fun and accurate. For some, the issues this gun has had can be a real turn off but if you can get beyond it ,it is a fun shooter

gregnauman

Bearcat
yep I have had problems, multiple times, with 3/4 guns.
Have an LCP that is now at ruger for Jamming 4/6 rounds in every mag fired.
I have a SR9 that was recalled, camblock replaced and now extensive peening of the barrel. It is going back today. So as we speak I will have 2/3 of my rugers at prescott.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562097911DUxaTF

My dad purchased an SR9, recalled, sent in because mag would not release, got it back, mag would not release. Sent it in again mag finally fixed.

JAP78

Bearcat
I've had my SR9 sent back twice.............One time for the magazine not releasing properly and trigger reset issues. The second time was for the trigger STILL not resetting properly. Since its second return, I've had zero problems.

As a matter of fact, I blasted 200 rds. today at the range with zero issues. However, after having to send it back twice, I did in fact vote yes.

Jeff

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
gregnauman":31kc7pzb said:
yep I have had problems, multiple times, with 3/4 guns.
Have an LCP that is now at ruger for Jamming 4/6 rounds in every mag fired.
I have a SR9 that was recalled, camblock replaced and now extensive peening of the barrel. It is going back today. So as we speak I will have 2/3 of my rugers at prescott.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562097911DUxaTF

My dad purchased an SR9, recalled, sent in because mag would not release, got it back, mag would not release. Sent it in again mag finally fixed.

those pictures are nasty looking :(

grapony

Bearcat
I voted yes, barrel had to be replaced. And I think it's starting to do it again on the underside where it tilts or rolls on the camblock, it looks nasty there.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Ridiculous FTF problems when new and that ugly trigger. Worked through the FTF and F&B'd the trigger but lost the SR9 love. Maybe if the Ghost trigger bar wasn't vaporware we'd still be together... :cry:

I voted no, though I have some peening on the rear lugs and the top of the barrel block. Just stoned them off. Have had no operational problems. I am very happy with the SR9. It is my main carry gun.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
No problems; a joy to shoot. In fact, a friend of mine keeps trying to buy mine after shooting it. I'll keep her though - unless someone comes along and wants to trade a nice SA that is!

flyers76

Bearcat
No problems so far, had mine for about 8 months now, close to 1,000 rounds through it...block shows some wear but so minute you have to use a magnifier to see it...trigger a little stiff at first but pulling smoother and lighter now... :D