Polishing Stainless?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hauss

Bearcat
Is there anyone out there that knows of someone who does polishing? I have an older MK II 5.5 that I bought used. The original owner really neglected the gun, and it shows. Tried my best to get most of the spots out of it with metal polish and a paper towel, but it looks a little uneven. If anybody could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Hauss

The green dish scrubbers are what I used to get some small spots on my Stainless Mark II. The green pads leave a finish very similar (almost identical) to the factory satin finish. Polish and Flitz will make the stainless steel more shiny like the high gloss.

Hauss, depends on "how bad"...if its rough, need to "shoe shine" the rounds with strips of emery paper, the "flats" with emery paper on a flat stick ( shim stock or large file, ) wrap the paper around the front end, get it roughed in, then as said above finish off with the scotchbrite pads....I use all of that stuff ,have been for years (since the 1960s) and they will come out looking like new, takes practice....I tell "new folks" try and stay away from the power tools & equipment, you'll do MORE harm & damage.....I know, we get to fix them up All THE TIME......you'lll do OK.........time & patience.................

Hauss

Bearcat
Thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up digging around in the garage and finding some Wizards metal polish. I tried it first on my Mk II, and ended up using it on my MK III Hunter, and my NAA Earl. It turned out much better than I initially expected, on all three. I would highly recommend using this over power tools. Once again thanks for all the advice guys.

Latest posts