Polishing a M77 Hawkeye bolt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

350Rem

Bearcat
I have a wonderful .308 Hawkeye on layaway right now. One of the few that I have seen with EXCEPTIONAL wood - just had to have it! I prefer the matte bluing over the MK11 bluing but I don't care for the matte stainless bolt and bolt handle. Is it possible to to polish this myself? Has anyone here done this? How would I go about doing this? Thanks, any pics would be helpful also.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
350Rem, I have polished many, many rifle bolts in preparation to "jeweling" them or simply putting a "chrome" type shine on them. I use a "medium" 6 inch "felt" polishing wheel on a 5/8 inch arbor hooked up to a 1725 rpm motor. I use "rouge" polishing media. You want to keep the bolt "moving" at a 30 degree angle to the wheel "face" to prevent "dishing" of the bolt and go easy as you press the bolt against the wheel. Just "light" passes as you do not want to "remove" metal from the bolt body or especially the "locking lugs" making the bolt "loose" in the receiver! You can get these wheels from Brownell's (088-161-625AC) but they are no longer cheap. Around $50 for a 6 inch medium wheel. It will however last you a lifetime if you take care of it!.........................Dick :wink: