Police Service Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
I bought a Police Service Six some time again. I have read where this revolver and the Security Six were carry revolvers for law enforcement and security agencies. Does any of the members here perhaps ex law enforcement know what agencies used the Service/Security Six? I was told my revolver was a trade in. I am trying to get a little history on law enforcement background on this great revolver.

Thanks,
roaddog28
RugerServiceSix.jpg

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
roaddog28, I know Montgomery county Md. PD, and Prince Georges county, Md PD, carried the service six and U.S. Postal Inspectors carried the speed six.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
You name it, they probably used it. Unless it is marked in some way with the Police Dept, or other Dept acronym, it may or may not have been used by law enforcement.

Some that are known are:

Minneapolis Police
Minnesota conservation Officer
South Dakota Peace Officer
Police Marksman Association
Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety
Alabama state Trooper
Iowa state sheriffs and Deputies Association
Tennessee State Police
Sacramento County Deputy Sheriff's Association
Ohio State Police
California Highway Patrol "CHP"
Maryland State Troopers Association
Virgina State Police
FBI National Academy
Alabama Sheriffs Association
Hawaii Law Enforcement
Pennsylvania State Police
INS, Immigration and Naturalization Service
Postal service Inspectors
NYCPD
San Francisco Sheriff's Dept.
US and NIS (Naval Intelligence Service) markings

And many others, you get the idea.

A very nice looking Service Six, doesnt look like it was used much. 357 or 38?

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
308longdistance":20a3renr said:
Some that are known are:

...San Francisco Sheriff's Dept.

And many others, you get the idea.

I have a stainess .357 Service Six marked "SFSD".

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone. The picture of the revolver makes it look better than it is. There is alot of holster wear on the barrel and trigger guad. Plus the top has wear from contact with different objects. The revolver is a 357 magnum. I have the original grips and they look well used. Alot of officers and security guards carried the revolver more than they actually used it. But from every I can tell plus where I bought it from it looks as if it was a police or security trade-in.

Thanks,
roaddog28

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
308longdistance":n6u49sdn said:
:shock: Would it be one of these? :shock:

You made me break it out for a closer look .308LD.

It's marked "Ruger Speed-Six". It has the "S.F.S.D." stamp under the cylinder release, factory rubber grips, and it has a 162 prefix. So, no cigar for me! :)

Oh, it actually belongs to Mrs. Unconverted. But, I've got a blued Bicentennial model... with no LE markings.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Jeff Hoover":2zlakbmk said:
roaddog28, I know Montgomery county Md. PD, and Prince Georges county, Md PD, carried the service six and U.S. Postal Inspectors carried the speed six.

Jeff,
I just bought a Speed-Six (GS-84) Montgomery Police Dept. with the Badge on the left side of frame that say "Police Officer" and Ruger Pac grips. Nice gun going to call Ruger tomorrow for letter. Lot of LEO guns out there.
Terry

chet15

Hawkeye
There are some factory blued stainless guns out there also that were made for law enforcement or other government agencies.
These have a catalog number that ends with "BP". (blued, rugger grip).
Chet15

S. Kelly

Bearcat
Boston PD issued Speed Sixes, 4 inch and a few 2 3/4 inch bobbed hammer .38 Spl stainless. Marked B.P.D. xxx on the left side at the factory. Everyone loved these guns.

jack76590

Bearcat
Unconverted":37xkm98d said:
308longdistance":37xkm98d said:
:shock: Would it be one of these? :shock:

You made me break it out for a closer look .308LD.

It's marked "Ruger Speed-Six". It has the "S.F.S.D." stamp under the cylinder release, factory rubber grips, and it has a 162 prefix. So, no cigar for me! :)

Oh, it actually belongs to Mrs. Unconverted. But, I've got a blued Bicentennial model... with no LE markings.

I have a 4" stainless Speed Six, but with heavy barrel marked "S.F.S.D.". Also has 162 prefix.

Dan42nepa

Bearcat
I read somewhere that the PA state police used it as their service revolver during the 70's? I live in PA thats how I remembered it also I own 2 security six revolvers.

Dan