Point of impact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Here is a conundrum; two USFA 32 WCF revolvers, one 7.5" barrel and one 4.75". Same handload, CCI 300, 4.2 grs. W-231 and 115 gr. OT RNFP. At 50 feet, 6 o'clock hold, 7.5" hits 4" high. 4.75" hits 4" low. What am I doing wrong? or how do I fix it? or can it be fixed? Thoughts?

contender

Ruger Guru
It's generally felt that a longer barrel allows the bullet to stay in there longer,, all the while the recoil is lifting the barrel,, causing longer barrels to shoot higher than shorter barrels.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
you could try shooting a slower load in the 4.75" and a faster load in the 7.5"

~c.r.

flatgate

Hawkeye
In my Ruger Single Actions, the shorter the barrel the taller the front sight.
Gee, the Factory installs the sights that way, as well.

Nonetheless, my experience has shown that many, many guns need taller front sights for my loads that tend to be "heavy for calibre bullets".

So, try to tailor your bullet selection to each individual revolver's idiosynchrasies.

flatgate

A

Anonymous

mhblaw":2s1mqjar said:
Here is a conundrum; two USFA 32 WCF revolvers, one 7.5" barrel and one 4.75". Same handload, CCI 300, 4.2 grs. W-231 and 115 gr. OT RNFP. At 50 feet, 6 o'clock hold, 7.5" hits 4" high. 4.75" hits 4" low. What am I doing wrong? or how do I fix it? or can it be fixed? Thoughts?

I am not sure that it is the gun(s) or the loads. How many groups have you fired with these guns?

I have found the 32 WCF is very fussy about the loads it shoots well and there is usually a lot of vertical stringing in the groups if the gun does not like the load. The .32 WCF (32/20) is very hard to load in a handgun and get good shot to shot consistency.

The reason is that the case volume calls for a relatively slow pistol powder and the bullets are usually of a relatively low sectional density and the neck of the case is thin, which makes a good tight crimp difficult. This all adds up to poor initial ignition and a high shot to shot variation.

The 115 grain bullets that you are loading are helpful and a Lee collet crimp die is also helpful. I find that a powder like 4756 seems to be the best bet.

If you are seeing a lot of vertical stringing in your groups, the first thing to do is develop a load that makes roundish groups, THEN address the disparity in group placement. 8)

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Contender's theory of "barrel time" is the one I espouse also. How much time does the bullet stay in the barrel. More time, shoots higher.
Works (for me).
Heavy bullets, generally at low velocity, shoot higher.
Faster bullets shoot lower.
It's quite easy for you to try this yourself. But try to change only ONE variable at a time.
For instance, using a .44 or .45 caliber: 240 gr @ 750 fps. Same bullet, same gun, 1150 fps. First bullet POI is higher, as greater barrel time.
This became very obvious to me when I began shooting my .500 Linebaugh with 450 grain cast bullets, and I could change the POI by 6" @ 25 yds just be changing velocity of the same bullet.
Some folks will disagree. That's fine. YOU try it and let us know.
Sonnytoo

contender

Ruger Guru
In my answer,, I noted he was using the same exact ammo,, just 2 different guns. That's why I feel it's the "high vs low" impact,,,, barrel time.
Yes,, you can vary different loads but the question was why it was doing this in 2 different guns,, with the exact same ammo.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. While it is not necessary for one to use the same load in two different revolvers; it is convenient. So, guess I will try different loads for these two gems. Half the fun of shooting them is reloading the empties!

hhmm, to me , it would be much easier now that YOU know where they 'impact' to hold accordingly....(change your sight picture......)
yes, good old Kentucky windage,is the same for elevation......

it is tough to get rifle cartridges to perform out of ANY revolver....not impossible, BUT tough , and time consuming...........

DGW1949

Hunter
contender":2h58569w said:
In my answer,, I noted he was using the same exact ammo,, just 2 different guns. That's why I feel it's the "high vs low" impact,,,, barrel time.
Yes,, you can vary different loads but the question was why it was doing this in 2 different guns,, with the exact same ammo.

That's been my experience also.

DGW

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
Quote "The .32 WCF (32/20) is very hard to load in a handgun and get good shot to shot consistency."

Been shooting 32/20 in rifles and revolvers for a long time. Never had any problem developing accurate loads within the proper bullet/powder/pressure ranges.

EDK

Single-Sixer
mhblaw":37ptimbh said:

Assuming you're going to keep these excellent revolvers...and not experiment too much with other loads, I'd trim the front sight on the 4.75 gun to hit 4" high as the other gun does and use a six o'clock hold.

I'm playing with a number of VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS in 44 magnum with 5.5 inch barrels, that thankfully shoot pretty close to the same point of aim/point of impact. I have identified a couple that will compensate for either right or left hand use. The 357 VAQUERO/BISLEY VAQUEROS seem a lot more sensitive to grip variations....and full moon...and any other good excuse!