Please Help....My P95DC Mags fall out while shooting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TnShooter83

Bearcat
Well, I thought I finally found a good deal on a P95 in SS.
After all the talk of ruger pretty much being bullet proof, I bought a USED one for $300.00. It's a newer one (I think) it has the accessory rail.

I was excited to try it out, but up on firing it every other round or so the mag will just fall out of the pistol. This happens with BOTH mags?

Any ideas, I think in might be the mag catch itself, or the mag catch spring?

Any one know how take the mag catch or spring out?
or if you can even buy new ones?

Man this is awful.....I'm almost sick.

Thanks for any help.

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
TnShooter,

Welcome to the forums.

I am sure you are giving the magazine a good smack when you insert it into the pistol. Not being gentle with it, but being rather forceful.

Also make sure you aren't bumping the mag release while you are shooting.

You can call Ruger customer service and they will probably send you the parts.

If all else fails, Ruger will fix it for you.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

DM

TnShooter83

Bearcat
Yes, I pounded the mag in good. (First thing I tried)
I know I was not inadvertently bumping the mag release upon recoil.
I tried it with all fingers below the the mag catches (Both hands required)

I might be able to figure it out. But I don't know how to get the mag release or spring out. I can NOT see a pin holding it in. All I see is a
piece piece of the spring (I assume) sticking out from the front of the pistol grip. About where your ring finger would be when placed on the grip.

I will call Ruger Monday. I'll let every one know how it goes......
But I'm not the original owner, so they might not help me?

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
TnShooter,

Ruger does not have a written warranty. They don't care if you are the original owner or the 100th, they will work with you to get the pistol working.

Be nice, polite, and respectful and describe the problem to them the best way you can. If they want you to ship it back to them to be worked on, ask them nicely for a prepaid shipper. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't send one.

Good luck and keep us informed,
DM

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
TnShooter83":1ym9w2rw said:
Well, I thought I finally found a good deal on a P95 in SS.
After all the talk of ruger pretty much being bullet proof, I bought a USED one for $300.00. It's a newer one (I think) it has the accessory rail.

I was excited to try it out, but up on firing it every other round or so the mag will just fall out of the pistol. This happens with BOTH mags?

Any ideas, I think in might be the mag catch itself, or the mag catch spring?

Any one know how take the mag catch or spring out?
or if you can even buy new ones?

Man this is awful.....I'm almost sick.

Thanks for any help.
There are instructions for removing the latches and spring in this thread: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=34293
Regards,
Greg

toysoldier

Hunter
With any used gun, the first thing to do is strip and clean it. There may be some kind of crud in the latch.

I was once given a .22 revolver to work on. It was hitting light, with frequent misfires. The spring was strong, and the hammer nose intact. As I looked it over, I discovered a thick grass stem wedged between hammer and breech. Fastest repair I ever did. :)

TnShooter83

Bearcat
UPDATE.....

I did manage to get the SPRING and CATCH out.
It was a bit difficult to say the least.
After finally getting the 2 latches out, I bent the spring to
give it more pressure. This FIXED the problem.

But I over bent the spring (on purpose) to make sure it would not drop the mags upon firing. Since the spring now has EXTRA pressure the mag
releases are very stiff and take a good amount of pressure to allow the mag to drop out.

Also another result from the bending the spring out more, is that
the mag will hold itself in place and will not fall free from the pistol with out having the mag release pressed in all the way. You can press the mag release in and drop the mag slightly and it will stay in, where as before it would just fall free.

In my personal opinion, the Mag catch and spring are not a very good design. I'll NEVER own another ruger with this type setup. My fingers still hurt all most 24 hours later after dealing with the problem.

All I can say is, "I'm happy it is fixed, and I'll be selling it soon"

I could have just pawned it off on a poor unexpected person at a gun show. But I'm an honest guy, and would feel awful for doing. What if they needed it for a REAL self defence situation?

Again, ......THANKS to ALL who have helped.

WORD of advise....All ways make sure the mag in seated FULLY.
Other wise it will apply pressure to the mag catch spring and weaken it over time. I personally will just leave the mag OUT until I plan to use it.

railroader

Single-Sixer
Yeah call ruger they will send you a new spring. Tell them the mags were dropping out. It should not be that hard to drop the mags.

mafuta54

Bearcat
TnShooter83":2deey06g said:
UPDATE.....

I did manage to get the SPRING and CATCH out.
It was a bit difficult to say the least.
After finally getting the 2 latches out, I bent the spring to
give it more pressure. This FIXED the problem.

But I over bent the spring (on purpose) to make sure it would not drop the mags upon firing. Since the spring now has EXTRA pressure the mag
releases are very stiff and take a good amount of pressure to allow the mag to drop out.

Also another result from the bending the spring out more, is that
the mag will hold itself in place and will not fall free from the pistol with out having the mag release pressed in all the way. You can press the mag release in and drop the mag slightly and it will stay in, where as before it would just fall free.

In my personal opinion, the Mag catch and spring are not a very good design. I'll NEVER own another ruger with this type setup. My fingers still hurt all most 24 hours later after dealing with the problem.

All I can say is, "I'm happy it is fixed, and I'll be selling it soon"

I could have just pawned it off on a poor unexpected person at a gun show. But I'm an honest guy, and would feel awful for doing. What if they needed it for a REAL self defence situation?

Again, ......THANKS to ALL who have helped.

WORD of advise....All ways make sure the mag in seated FULLY.
Other wise it will apply pressure to the mag catch spring and weaken it over time. I personally will just leave the mag OUT until I plan to use it.
Just send it to me and I will deal with it!

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
TnShooter83":3dad2rmf said:
... I'll NEVER own another ruger with this type setup. ...
Glad to hear you got it fixed. As you have it on hand, you might want to give it a work out for a thorough evaluation before selling. I've had springs go bad and other parts break on firearms, IMO it just goes with owning/operating any type of machine. I'd give a random part failure some consideration before discarding the whole apparatus.

If you don't like that magazine latch design and are still interested in a Ruger centerfire autoloader, the P90 and P345 use different latch designs.

Regards,
Greg