Plastic vs Metal 10/22 Chargers.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Merovingian

Bearcat
What is the difference between the Plastic and Metal chargers?

How can I tell the difference?

I am thinking of getting a charger and 'modding' the heck out of it in a way I couldn't (due to legalities) to a rifle 10/22.

very short barrel, maybe a folding stock (Id have to research if this makes it a rifle, and therefor illegal), something very tacticool... just for fun.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
I don't think that Chargers ever came with metal trigger housings. If it (or a 10/22 for that matter) comes from the factory with an extended mag release it's got a plastic trigger housing.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
ElrodCod":18pf5387 said:
I don't think that Chargers ever came with metal trigger housings. If it (or a 10/22 for that matter) comes from the factory with an extended mag release it's got a plastic trigger housing.

For a couple of months they did have the metal TG...they are still around and you may still find one as these guns have not sold too well.

I would almost put money on CDNNinvestments having these in the next year or so.

9x19

Hunter
ElrodCod":dau5dfmy said:

That's not entirely correct... mine is serial number 490-023xx and it came with both the factory extended magazine release and a metal trigger group.

The easiest way to tell is to remove the magazine, depress the catch and look into the mag well, it the circular hole where the magazine plunger sits is silver in appearance the trigger housing is metal, if it's black, composite.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
ElrodCod":3s8zxktx said:

I got two with metal trigger guards. I bought the first and put it away when I heard they were switching to plastic. I planned on buying a plastic one to shoot. But I got lucky and found a second metal one.

For the record, I very much prefer the metal trigger-group.

For the record, also, my Charger has the plastic trigger-group, and it works just as perfectly as the metal trigger group.

WAYNO.

My Charger is of the plastic breed, and it works fine. In fact it is the most accurate out of the box 10/22 variety I have yet to own. This includes one Sporter, 4 Carbines, and one Target model.

I just saw where somebody did a drop test and the plastic survived where the aluminum didn't. GunBlast maybe, cant recall.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
My first Charger has a cast metal housing; my next Charger has the molded one.

I don't see a nickel's worth of difference between the two for any practical purpose, although I understand the molded parts to be an engineering improvement.

If one REALLY cannot tell metal from plastic :( , just tap your ring or a coin on the trigger guard! DINK equals metal - DONK equals plastic.

If you put a folding stock on the Charger you've made it a rifle with a short barrel and can get in a world of trouble unless you pay the govmnt their tribute.

Now to be honest, one of the reasons I bought a Charge is for this reason.... if our society collapses, I'll be converting her to an open bolt and putting a folding stock on it.

I've got a friend who legally has an open bolt 10/22 with folding stock, 10" barrel and silencer (all legal) and it is the sweetest auto shooting critter you ever handled (1100 rpm)

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Mine is plastic, but it has one seriously sweet trigger pull. I asked the previous owner if he did anything to it, and he said the only thing he did was shoot it. I'm hoping to do the same with my 10/22 :)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The tried-n-true "Crest method" trigger job using toothpaste as a polishing compound will also yield some amazing crispness to most 10/22 and Charger guns.