Plastic 10/22 trigger group pics side by side.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mscales

Bearcat
Here are some pics of the new plastic trigger housing next to the metal housings. Both are complete trigger groups.

Trigger group weights:
Metal: 6.7os
Plastic: 4.7oz

I don't think I have to point out which one is plastic:

100_1954.jpg

100_1953.jpg

100_1952.jpg

100_1951.jpg

100_1950.jpg

100_1949.jpg

100_1940.jpg

100_1945.jpg

9x19

Hunter
It looks like a high-quality injection molding... I wonder what synthetic formulation they are using.

Thanks for the pics.

Rodbuster416

Bearcat
I was a bit pissed when I took apart my Remington 597 for the first time. I almost sold it. Not to mention the crude looking parts that there are few of. The plastic trigger housing and stamped chevy bumper of a hammer were really a tear jerker. I hope our friends ar ruger know what there doing. Chances are, John Q public wont have a clue or really even care if brought to there attention. I think it's too bad.
I have an old friend who moved to Prescott AZ. a couple years ago. He's a machinest. He couldnt find a good paying job so he took a job at this company called Ruger. He called me to see if I ever heard of them. I was really happy for him (and me). They started him out at a bit over $10 an hour. Making MK II then MK III recievers and barrels I believe. He worked his ass off 10-12 hrs a day and finally quit for a better paying job. You hear all the excuses for the high prices we pay for our irons. There sure as hell doing well on labor.
Enough Gripping, JMO

By the way, Thanks for the pics. Excelent comparison.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
To tell you the truth, I probably wouldn't have noticed it myself, but then I've gotten used to the same basic type of "plastic" in handguns like Glocks, XD's, MK III 22/45's and even my Hi-Point. The stuff works well.

You know, it's really not plastic.

It's:

High Strength Space Age Polymer.

I bought one of those cheap made in china plastic tarps the other day and on the packaging it said the edges were reinforced with this stuff.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I suppose that the silver lining here is that you can rough up the plastic surface a bit and apply one of several very, VERY (read...very) durable paint/coatings that are purpose made to bond to polymer based materials. Unfortunately they are so good that they can't be bead blasted off without damaging what you are painting.

If this costs Ruger less to make...I wonder if that piece in the parts booklet will also be reduced in price?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Still don't care personally. I can't see Ruger making these in such a way or with a material that isn't durable. Again, it's a $200 .22 folks not a classy dakota. Metal is seeing continual price increases so gotta find a happy medium someplace to stay competitive in the target price range.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
Continuing on with what I said about not noticing it, I took my Remington 597 to the range yesterday and shot it. I had never noticed that the trigger group on that is made of what I would think is the same kind of "plastic." Now I'll admit that I probably never noticed it because the whole stock is made of the same stuff, but still it seems to work just fine.

chet15

Hawkeye
mscales":177zf9xe said:

What's the name on the right side of that plastic trigger housing??

Also, for the individual that just said they got a 10/22 with the metal trigger housing, what's the serial number on your gun?? Just trying to figure out where Ruger started doing this.

Do you have any pic comparisons of the plastic vs. metal barrel band?
Or the plastic vs. metal trigger?
Chet15

rocinante

Bearcat
serial number 351-494XX where XX is two more digits. Just being prudent.

What does the text on the receiver mean? Does ruger subcontract it out to another manufacturer and that is their logo?

mscales

Bearcat
Near as I can tell about the meaning of the name and stuff on the side is, the manufaturer and the batch, date and other production info. None of it makes any sense to me but then I don't know their codes.

toysoldier

Hunter
I'm not sure what all the hoopla is about. If it isn't steel, it's not "the way they used to make them". There's not a .22 pump or auto that matches the class of an old Remington Model 12. That's what I learned to shoot with, and the aluminum receiver on the 10/22 is one reason I didn't get one many years ago.
Aluminum or plastic, they're both lower-cost substitutes. That said, I would like to point out that the finish will never come off of a plastic part that has the color molded in.

rocinante

Bearcat
The logo stuff is driving me nuts. I just cleaned my rifle and the logo is on the left side not the right like in the posted picture and it says 4 instead of two and 07 in the circle with the weird symbols. I am looking at it and still can't figure out the word. It looks like emprios. grrrrr.

mscales

Bearcat
rocinante":39syn7pg said:
The logo stuff is driving me nuts. I just cleaned my rifle and the logo is on the left side not the right like in the posted picture and it says 4 instead of two and 07 in the circle with the weird symbols. I am looking at it and still can't figure out the word. It looks like emprios. grrrrr.

Over the year they are all different. It is a internal production code.