Plane crash miracle?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

We had a plane crash today in Los Angeles County that reinforces the old adage that when it's not your time, nothing can get you.

The story on the news was the pilot of a Cessna 172 lost power on takeoff, and crashed onto railroad tracks. Calls to police got rapid response and they wanted to move everything off the tracks before extracting the pilot, but had to change their minds as a train sped toward them. They pulled the pilot out and off the tracks with just a few seconds before the train hit the wreckage. There were no passengers in the plane.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/plane-hit-by-train-after-crashing-on-train-tracks-in-california/ar-AASBKJj

Last word on the pilot I heard was he was pretty well scratched up, but otherwise ok. Somebody was certainly watching over this fellow!

Rick C

I could not get the video to play or at least find it but from the picture it looks like they might have a hard time putting that plane back together. What I wanted to see was how many police and others were there.... I'd bet that 10 or 12 men and women could have picked the aircraft up and moved it.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I’ve flown in and out of Whiteman airport many times. It’s primarily general aviation. But some news outlets keep helos there.

East and west are completely built up. North is a big hill. The tracks are south, immediately along the airport perimeter, long and straight. The pilot picked the best place but it’s pretty much impossible to land a light plane on railroad tracks. Add to that the speed and frequency of the commuter trains (it’s a major line from the San Fernando valley to L. A.) and the final outcome was unavoidable.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
I could not get the video to play or at least find it but from the picture it looks like they might have a hard time putting that plane back together. What I wanted to see was how many police and others were there.... I'd bet that 10 or 12 men and women could have picked the aircraft up and moved it.

Hi,

blume, I can't get any of the videos up this morning, but this looks like a single frame before the train hit. In the video, the next thing you see is pretty much just an explosion. I don't know the train's speed at that point, but it looks like a Metrolink train. They top out at 79 mph according to a freight train engineer once, who called them the race cars of the railroad.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/watch-l-a-police-pull-pilot-out-of-plane-stuck-on-railroad-tracks-right-as-train-hits-it

Rick C

Original link worked fine for me.

Rick's link is a single "frame" from the original video and shows the cops dragging the injured pilot away literally a couple of seconds before the train simply drove right thru the plane wreckage without stopping or even appearing to slow down. It was that close. :shock:

If he was really fond of him he wouldn't have landed on the train tracks a few hundred feet from the
end of the runway.
Don't have a clue what happened, but things that come to mind are an intersection takeoff because he was too
lazy to back taxi. A 172 should have gotten a whole lot farther from a runway that length or still be on it even
after a complete engine failure taking off. Especially being light with only the pilot on board.
Didn't see any flaps deployed so he didn't even have time to think about much.

RSIno1

Hunter
I never liked Whiteman. A friend kept his Mooney there for awhile but it didn't seem to have that typical friendly airport vibe. Maybe it's just because there's no restaurant for people to hang out at. LA County Fire takes up the whole east end. Last time I was there it was to look at the original Mini's they used in the remake of the Italian Job. They were both rusty POS with lots of bondo and shiny paint. Neither worth the $12,000 asking price.

Latest posts