Plan on runnin' and gunnin' ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

There is a good movie on Netflix right now. It's called "Leave The World Behind."

It's about just this thread. Very interesting. One guy (Kevin Bacon) is prepared for what happens. He's got a gun to protect his stash of food and medicine etc.

The way the movie is set, it's entirely plausible. Hacker's attach the internet and communications infrastructure. I won't give it away.

I think many here have hit on the real reason for 'excessive inventory of ammo' not to fight off the Zombies but as a viable commodity to trade. If society collapses what hell good is even gold?

Back in the 90's my father went in with some friends and they bought a number of SKSs and they each got a case of Chinese ammo... 1200 rounds... one of the guys wanted more ammo and my father sold him half of his and when the guy showed up to get it he was concerned that my father would be okay with this and my father said to him that if he could not get more ammo with the 600 rounds he had left then he did not deserve to have the rifle.

A long time ago in a life time far away I was being trained for war and one time they gave us 3 blank ounds for our M14s .... I came back with a hell of a lot more than that.

I honestly don't see most of us surviving beyond a few "firefights" How long do you intend for "Your Society" to survive beyond you??? Extra guns and ammo will be up there with livestock. I imagine 2 guns and 1,000 rnds might be worth a dozen chicken and 6 goats and pigs which the Amish up the road have aplenty. Are you going to have to arm others? A survivable enclave would need about 100 people. Sentries will need to be armed. If under massed attack 1,000+ rounds could disappear in seconds. So if your only goal is to protect your personal stash until they slaughter you in your sleep and eat you a few dozen rounds should be fine. If you aren't going to bother keeping up your skills and verifying your equipment you probably won't even need those.

I honestly see my role in "My Enclave" is being able to train and and arm a dozen of so members. That and having a wood gasifier that could power a vehicle or generator among other "Lost Skills" Several neighbors with Solar Arrays could handle things like Refrigerated food storage and Communications as well as being able to power their wells and water heaters along with air conditioning here and there for people to be able to cool off. A community could possibly survive relatively nicely until eventually being overrun.

Last edited:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I honestly don't see most of us surviving beyond a few "firefights" How long do you intend for "Your Society" to survive beyond you??? Extra guns and ammo will be up there with livestock. I imagine 2 guns and 1,000 rnds might be worth a dozen chicken and 6 goats and pigs which the Amish up the road have aplenty. Are you going to have to arm others? A survivable enclave would need about 100 people. Sentries will need to be armed. If under massed attack 1,000+ rounds could disappear in seconds. So if your only goal is to protect your personal stash until they slaughter you in your sleep and eat you a few dozen rounds should be fine. If you aren't going to bother keeping up your skills and verifying your equipment you probably won't even need those.
There's some Hamas guys in Gaza City that 'stood their ground' yesterday. Video about 1/2 way down the page.

Diversity is the key to success. Having 'some' ammo for several common/popular cartridges gives 'depth' to your options. The variety of ammo makes for valuable trading stock or gives the option of using battlefield pickup guns.

black1970

Single-Sixer
Bullets
Beans
Whiskey

Attachments

• AD4EE2FA-12B3-4E77-9DBF-6BFBE9394E95.jpeg
    AD4EE2FA-12B3-4E77-9DBF-6BFBE9394E95.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 39

41Dude

Single-Sixer

gunzo

Buckeye
Once with the mindset, I can no longer wrap my head around using ammo for barter or currency.

I would likely be very valuable & one might have to use it. BUT,,,, I don't like the thought of ammo
I once had, sold or traded getting used on,,, ME.

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
Whatever you have will change after the first fight with scoundrels who are determined to burn your house down! If you survive that, you'll only have what ammo and survival food you and your family can carry in the best case! Survival time just got cut way down! This scenario might get a little better if you don't live nears the city! Otherwise, there's high probability your biscuits will be burnin one way or another! No matter what you think ahead of time, it probably won't go the way you see it right now! Let's hope it doesn't go that far and wide!

Realism can sometimes be mistaken for pesimism!

If/when the SHTF ammo can be bartered the same as "extra" guns. You've got food and water that my family needs and I have guns and ammo that you need.

Most likely you'll simply die from whatever before that happens.

How much is enough?

More than you think you'll ever need.
There's a very interesting book called One Second After that describes a similar situation. That was an EMP but it will become obvious you won't be able to trade gold or silver for anything, but if you have ammo you are in a position of strength.

I honestly see my role in "My Enclave" is being able to train and and arm a dozen of so members. That and having a wood gasifier that could power a vehicle or generator among other "Lost Skills" Several neighbors with Solar Arrays could handle things like Refrigerated food storage and Communications as well as being able to power their wells and water heaters along with air conditioning here and there for people to be able to cool off. A community could possibly survive relatively nicely until eventually being overrun.

Consistency is the corner stone of quality and success...

I have 3 Ruger PC rifles in 9mm along with twice that many P95 pistols.... for those that don't remember... they take the same magazines and ammo.