Piscatickaninny Rail Removable?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RVM45

Bearcat
Friends.

Is the Tacti-Cool Piscaticaniniiny Rail on Ruger's Version of the Marlin 1895 easily removable? Can you simply screw it off or do you need the services of a Machinist with a Bridgeport Milling Machine?

Thank You.

…..RVM45

instructor

Single-Sixer
Odds are about a million to one against it is a milled/machined part of the receiver/barrel so figure it is a screw on item. Ruger would have to charge a lot more money for the firearm if it was a machined with the receiver/barrel.

hittman

Staff member
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895sbl/

The brief picture on this video looks like its removable.

I'm sure Marlin would tell you if you call.

Yes it's removable. But the aperture sight, being part of this rail, must be replaced with another sight.

This was a concern with my latest Marlin 1894, having this same rail. I don't care for it. I'll never use it, so my plan was to remove the rail and replace the sight. I never had ambition enough to make the change, so my little rifle still wears the rail, but now I don't even notice it's there.

If you want to get rid of the rail and sight, check out Skinner rifle sights for a peep that mounts into the screw holes that rail is sitting on.

Look at a new Ruger Marlin you can't miss it. I get it with the new Marlin. Ruger wanted it a little updated. The threaded barrel is good. The rail adds versatility in scopes (standard or long eye relief) optic sights and its own peep sight. The big loop lever is mostly for looks or a few who will use it with gloved hands.
The rail is easy if you don't want it take it off and put on your own peep sight or scope system. For me my eyes are bad enough I cannot get a clear sight picture with any barrel mounted rear sight. Peep sights really help, but the best would be going to a optic sight. You shoot with both eyes open, have a red or green dot. No lining up front and rear sights. They look out of place on a rifle that hit the market over a hundred years ago. Since Marlin has a side ejection it makes that design great to use old style or new sighting systems. Something my several Winchesters will never do.

Latest posts