Pinto Single Six Sheriff

Help Support Ruger Forum:

medicdave

Blackhawk
While waiting on parts for the Shorty 44 my brother and I have been planning out a chopped single six as a back pocket around the barn gun. Finally plan is to make it a pinto with a new xr3 grip frame, 3.75" barrel, new sights, and a hand full of stainless parts thrown in for good measure. Figured we'd walk this one through the build rather than wait till it's all done at the end. This will be the first project that goes beyond swapping in and fitting basic parts.

It's starting out as a blue 6 1/2" new model single six.

First up mocking up a stainless new xr3 frame from brownells. As you can see it needs a bit of fitting but nothing horrendous. Don't mind the grips they are xr3-red grips on an xr3 frame.

Base pin latch was swapped for the stainless parts taken out of Shorty when the Belt mountain parts were swapped in and the nail head base pin was shortened to fit the single six frame dimensions. Fits like a glove, and just enough sticking out to catch a fingernail on to pull it out. This will ensure plenty of ejector stroke when the barrel is shortened.

Grashorn elk stag grips arrived and trial fit on new frame, not to much fitting needed on the frame. Not to worried as the frame will be round butted ala Hortons lil gun.

Initial plan was to dovetail the barrel and install an insert to secure the front sight ramp to. The test dovetail was cut at the end of the long barrel, however it left a gap on either side of the ramp. It would work but it's not pretty. On a brighter note the dovetail jig worked awesome. It'll come in handy on other projects in the future. It also can be used to keep the saw from wandering on barrel chops.

After determining the dovetail plan wouldn't cut the mustard we ordered a scope base instalation jig made by wheeler engineering that will self center and guide drill bits and taps and will screw the ramp retaining screw directly into the barrel. This I'm sure will pay for it's self many times over in the future.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/341035/williams-scope-mount-drill-fixture-aluminum-black

Onward and upward a test cut on the barrel was made using a hack saw and the dovetail jig as a guide. The barrel was then given a rough crown with the muzzle facing tool.

My brother mugging for the camera.

Rough cut crown similar to what browning put on the a-bolt rifles.

Have some more parts and tools coming to continue the roughing out but we did a mock up of what the end product should end up as. Haven't quite decided whether the ejector rod housing will be blue or stainless so we ordered both from Ruger and will decide after we get a look at it both ways.

Little more work today fitting the grip frame while waiting on tools and parts.

First up filed a shelf/recess for the mainspring seat to rest in and prevent movement on the grip frame. In these picture you can see how much meat also need to be removed to fit down the grip frame.

As you can see above there was 1/16-3/32" of extra steel side to side and about 1/4" extra height on the ears. This being the first frame we have hand fit we mated the grip frame to the main frame and used a sharpie to mark the material that needed to be removed. Then the grip frame came off was flat filed down then reattached to check fit.

Lowering the ears

Pretty durn close

Grip frame is now just a scosh proud to allow for sanding and polishing. Still need to recontour the ears, and fit the frame down to the grips and round butt as well. Got the drilling jig and some nifty new drill bits and taps from midway after we had finished for the day. Ejector rod housings should be in from Ruger in a couple of days, waiting to drill and tap until we can make sure the new vaquero sheriff housings are the same spacing as the housing off of shorty.

More as it develops.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Been busy and neglecting the project, but hopefully will get some done tomorrow. Got in the ejector rod housings and some patridge dovetail sight blanks that may end up as contenders. FYI the sheriff length blue ERH from ruger are blued steel. Hopefully some progress pictures tomorrow.

New sight blanks, tall ones are about spot on for height dovetailed into the barrel.

New housings.

Also thinking of cerekoting the blue steel a satin black like this USFA done up by Robar years ago (Robar used Roguard and NP3 rather than cerekote and stainless but same idea). It was what actually got me thiniking about a pinto shorty way back when.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Got some work in on the pinto. Drilled and tapped for the ERH using the Wheeler jig, easy peasy lining up off the old screw hole and marking for length for the sheriff length housing.

We could have done the same for the front sight screw hole, but had practiced chopping the barrel earlier and no longer had a reference hole. As tek4260 mentioned earlier different reference points gave different level readings. After a lot of measuring, a new set of levels, and test fittings TDC was established and referenced to the rear sight. Drilled and tapped the front sight hole and installed the front sight base.

Now for the moment we've all been waiting for. Overall length on the barrel was marked and a bit added to allow for cleaning the crown up. The hardened dovetail jig was installed as a guide and the hacksaw came out to do the dirty deed.

A little draw filing on the muzzle to prepare for the crowning tool, and a reassembled to mock up. The ejector rod sticking out is a new vaquero crescent style we are thinking of using.

Left on the work list, muzzle crowning to final length, outside barrel chamfer, finish fitting grip frame to main frame and grips, remove left over billboard from barrel and prep for finishing, send of for finishing.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Muzzle crown done. Had a lot of chatter until I found a hint on line about placing wax paper between the cutter and the muzzle. Seems like it worked.

Why yes this is a pinto sheriffs model. Actual smithing work is finished, rest will be cosmetic. Need to finish the grip frame, contour the front sight blade into to the ramp, remove left over billboard from barrel and refinish. Gun is fully functional and shooting well. Feels great in the hand and balances well.

Little cold blue to keep rust gremlins away.

Fits it's new shuck now as well.

Front sight recontoured, needs a bit more cleaning up.

Fitting grip frame to grips and adding a round butt ala Horvaths lil gun.

Working on polishing out file marks from the grip frame. Still needing to remove the left over billboard from the barrel. Oh and almost forgot the best part. Little over an inch at 25yds.

ken s

Bearcat
I'm doing the exact same thing, but leaving barrel long.
fitted elk antler grips, fitted SSteel backstrap, now final sanding and polishing.
like the rounded butt. I'll do the same.
(hit the frame with file. #$%$^, had to sand, buff and blue near the serial number.)
slow is best....but I'll live I guess.
using Tetra blue...what do you recommend?

keep picts coming...Ken

medicdave

Blackhawk
Think we used a birchwood Casey blueing pen on the muzzle. Final refinish for the blue will be a midnight blue cerakote. Projects been on hold during hunting season.

Need to finish this one up as well. Getting made up to match my Talo super.

I'm generally not a huge "Pinto" fan, but this is a GREAT tutorial, on a really neat project.

Lots of great details are going into this project.

It's amazing to me what can be accomplished with a vision, patience, care, and some basic tools.

Thank you very much for the inspiration!

(This sentiment also applies to many others here who have shared their great work over the years.)