Pics of one of Ruger's flattop .44 magnums...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PALADIN85020

Bearcat
I took some pics recently of one of the original Ruger flattop .44 magnum single actions. I bought this from the estate of a guy who evidently used it as a field gun, so it's seen some honest wear. It's still in excellent mechanical shape. I had to do some superb bargaining to talk his widow out of it, but we made a deal we both thought was fair. This particular gun was made in 1957, a year after the breed first came out. It's originally equipped with Ruger-optional stag grips, which was a bonus. I bought the box and instruction sheet separately, but they are correct for the gun. Hope you like the pics. If one of you knowledgeable folks can give me a ballpark date of manufacture based on the serial number (2722), I'd appreciate that information.

John

RUGER_44_FLATTOP-BOX-1280_zps6libs81y.jpg

RUGER_FLATTOP_44_MAG-900-RIGHT_zpsnmonmu1d.jpg

RUGER_FLATTOP_44_MAG-LEFT-900._zpsrq1sivkv.jpg

Congrats. That's a nice, honest example of an early gun that's been used and not abused. Excellent photography, too. Thanks for sharing.

I bought one that's about a thousand units older that was in even better original condition. Nearest thing to a "collector" I've ever owned. But I like to buy early, high condition items that others have preserved for me, and then use 'em. :oops:

So I took mine to the range and half-way thru a box of factory .44 Special loads, the ejector housing flew off. Long story short....my once-collectible original is now a Turnbull-finished custom. It's unfortunate but , realistically, my $700 original is actually worth much more now, and I'm back to being me...a shooter. :)

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
The one I own is # 29778 pretty close to the end. I have to admit it's one of my Favorite Rugers even if I only shoot what I think are somewhat mild loads. ie; 11.0 gr. of Unique with a 240 cast up front. (this is a safe load in my Ruger, it may not be in yours)

dougader

Hunter
I'm thinking you got a great price on that one. Can't help on date of mfg past the Ruger website.

What a beauty! If I had one of those I wouldn't run it any hotter than hdrxr750 does.

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
I was at the Wheeling WV Cabelas and they have 2 O.M. Flat Top.44 Mags. I forget what they were so I'll not say what their asking. I've dealt with them and they will come down some. Both looked as if they were at least 95% or better. I did not handle them so I can't comment any more than that. I suggest you contact them.

trapperon

Blackhawk
I know anything is possible with Ruger, but shouldnt this flattop have a non collared base pin? I was thinking mid to late 1958 they implemented the collared pin as this revolver has. Just an observation.....and a great looking 44 flattop!

Ron

PALADIN85020

Bearcat
trapperon said:
I know anything is possible with Ruger, but shouldnt this flattop have a non collared base pin? I was thinking mid to late 1958 they implemented the collared pin as this revolver has. Just an observation.....and a great looking 44 flattop!

Ron

It's entirely possible, but unknown, if the original owner replaced the earlier pin with a collared one. All other features look correct for a 1957 gun.

John

I love the gun.

I love the stags.

I love the condition.

A revolver like that is a treasure. I would show it to every visitor that had any interest at all. Maybe even some that didn't!