Picking up my 6" GP 100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rex Driver

Bearcat
This Wednesday I will be picking up my new 6" GP 100 and will head off to the range with some ammo that I have loaded at 4.3 Grains of Winchester 231 behind a 158 Grain RNFP cast lead bullet. I do not have a chronograph, however, I am thinking that this load should be in the 750 FPS when loaded in Speer 38Spl cases with Federal Small Pistol Primers. I made the mistake of looking at a 4" in the same configuration at the toy shop and my mind instantly went into gear and my wallet did its best to hide. Since I live in Va. (One hand gun per month without a CCW) I guess I will go back to my old Police Department and get them to call the State Police with my specs on the CCW they issued me so that I will not have to wait 30 days between purchases. This last thing might have a negative effect on my ability not to go overboard.

How many people here own either a 6" or 4" or perhaps both GP100s and how do you like one compared to the other.

Well, got to get back to the bench and finish off the last 100 45 Colt rounds so that the Bisley can accompany me to the range, Wednesday.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I know you will enjoy that GP-100. Stay tuned to RugerForum for tips and tricks to tune-up that gun. That 38special load sounds fine but the GP-100 really excels at handling the 357mag rounds, especially in the 6" version. I don't think there is a sturdier 357mag gun on the market. :D :D

...Jimbo

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
Congrats Rex! You own the baddest .357 on the market. I should know, I have one too :D I absolutely love my 6" and it is unbelievably accurate. I highly recommend getting a wolf spring pack and installing the 10lb hammer and the 8lb trigger spring. The difference in trigger pull is like night and day.

Rex Driver

Bearcat
WyoGunner":2c714ha9 said:
Congrats Rex! You own the baddest .357 on the market. I should know, I have one too :D I absolutely love my 6" and it is unbelievably accurate. I highly recommend getting a wolf spring pack and installing the 10lb hammer and the 8lb trigger spring. The difference in trigger pull is like night and day.

WyoGunner, thanks for the reply, when I bought my GP100 I purchased a spring kit, however, it was a Wilson Kit and not wolf. I think I have heard that the Wilson kits actually use Wolf springs, just under a different name.
I do have Wolf springs in my single action vaqueros that I shoot in Cowboy and you are right, there is a BIG difference, especially when they are part of an overall action job.

bera1947

Bearcat
I have both...they are both bad boys. I believe the 6 is more accurate(probably because of the barrel length), but the 4 feels better(probably because of the lesser weight). Proud to be the owner of both.

I have a 3 also and it can hold it's own as well.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I have more handguns than I'll admit in public, but when it comes to shooting at the range when I've got to be good, I take my old (1980's) 6" GP100. Sweet.

GP100sm.jpg

GP100man

Buckeye
RexDriver

i`m down to 2 GPs at the moment & there the 4"& 6" ss full lug these 2 will never go !!!

the 4" balances better but for hunting loads & extended range sessions the 6"gets the nod .

as far as accuracy goes IF i can do my part the GPs will do theres!!

it would be very hard to leave one behind!!!!

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
Did someone say GP100?

My first was the adjustable sight 4". Great all-around revolver. Great trigger pull.

My second was the 6". Shoots like a rifle.

My third was the 4" fixed-sight. I bought this one used, and it is not yet nearly as smooth as the other 4". I'm waiting for a rainy day before I try to "IBOK" it. I'm debating whether or not to do a DAO conversion on it.

My fourth was the 3". I traded a 3" SP101 for it, and I like it much better than the SP. It is also a CCW candidate.

If you look closely, you might be able to figure out which one is currently my primary CCW.

I guess that I ought to look for a 5" just to round out the set...

GP100s.JPG

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
when I bought my GP100 I purchased a spring kit, ... there is a BIG difference, especially when they are part of an overall action job.

The only time lighter springs should be considered is after all the burrs, rough edges and casting marks have been smoothed out. Afterwards, the gun has a chance of operating with lighter springs...to a point. I have easily spent 10 to 20 hours on one revolver to get there. But, I would also add that smoothness of operation is more important than lighter spring weights especially in a defensive firearm.

Carry_Up