picked up an older 10/22 today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshot

Single-Sixer
I have wanted a 10/22 for a number of years and for some reason I never picked one up. Well I just aquired one through a trade. After getting it home and looking up the serial number I discovered that it is much older than I originally thought. It's 114 prefix so that puts it at 1975. Is there anything different about older 10/22s over the newer ones that I should be aware of? Are the newer rifles better? The rifle has been upgraded with a Tactical Solutions Barrel, a Hogue OverMolded stock, and a Kidd "trigger job" kit. The receiver finish is a little rough, as is the trigger guard. Any ideas how to make those look better, Duracoat? What else do you recommend doing to the rifle? I am wanting it for mainly plinking and squirrels. Thanks in advance for you help

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Too bad it has lost so man of its original features since it's that old.

I'd de-blue and polish the whole thing, sell the stock and buy a neato wood one or a plain one to refinish in a custom color.

That's just me.

buckshot

Single-Sixer
Too bad it has lost so man of its original features since it's that old
Yes if it was all original I would leave it that way, but since it's not there is no reason to stop going custom now.

I'd de-blue and polish the whole thing
That's a good idea! I think that would look pretty cool and kind of unique. Any tips on getting the blueing off?

Iowa Fox

Bearcat
I would just shoot the devil out of it to see how it does and how you like it. Plenty of time to mod it after that.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
buckshot said:
Too bad it has lost so man of its original features since it's that old
Yes if it was all original I would leave it that way, but since it's not there is no reason to stop going custom now.

I'd de-blue and polish the whole thing
That's a good idea! I think that would look pretty cool and kind of unique. Any tips on getting the blueing off?

Naval jelly then lots of hand work to polish.

No-1

Single-Sixer
The new ones are much cheaper to build. They have gone to plastic trigger groups and paint for finish that will come off. Everyone of the takedown ones I've seen had a wide gap between the stock sections. It seems that with all Ruger guns older is better.