Picked up a Bird's head grip frame....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bluestraw

Bearcat
Hello all,
Just bought this off of GB. Here's the description the seller listed...

"Ruger brass bird head grip frame with grips. will fit black hawk,super blackhawk and varqueo old big guns. Not for 3 screws or new small frames"

brassbirdhead.jpg

Now I plan on eventually putting this on a Ruger Old Army. :) Now, in an effort to combat 'buyers remorse', what would you guys price this at?

Thanks,
Blue

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Fitting that to an Old Army is going to be messy. The ROA is the last of the "old model" or "three screw" actions.

I'm about 95% sure...others will no doubt come in to confirm or deny.

That said, no more are being made. Was it ever fitted to any gun? That would drop the value significantly. It's not a Ruger part, it's a QPR or MKtech most likely. If it was never fitted to a gun, it can now be fitted to most anything post-'72 other than the ROA.

If unfitted, I'd be willing to bet somebody would pay $200...maybe more.

americal

Hunter
It is going to look good on whatever you decide 8) don't have one but sure like the looks of Birdhead--frame my 3&5/8ths VAQ. has regular frame :)

Axehandle

Buckeye
Robb Barnes gave me one that was NIB last year... Had to buy grips for it since it didn't come with them... I have a blue Vaquero style Single Six 32 that I plan to take to John G soon for a little fitting and finishing...

Any of you Jasper guys seen/shot the birdshead 475L that John built for one of his local buddies? I got to see it last month... Evil looking thing... Might look friendlier in brass! :D

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I absolutely LOVE my birdshead Vaquero. It is by far the most comfortable SA grip IMHO. Even with stout 300gr handloads, the birdshead grip is more comfortable than the regular grip of my Blackhawk.

I think you will enjoy shooting whichever gun you put it on very much.

bluestraw

Bearcat
The owner told me the following:

"They have been fitted to a frame. They came from Brownells years ago."

He was selling two of these and I am thinking about purchasing the other. To buy, or not to buy. That is the question.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Gripframes? Aftermarket...Cost as a guess. Not exactly a huge market or they would've stayed in production. I'm thinking with the cost of materials going up these past few years it wasn't cost efficient to continue production.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I got it. Now I gotta figure out what to do with it. Don't care for these on the large frames as they look to small proportionally. Gotta get either another 50th Ann BH or another Single Six as a base. Hmmmm....

bluestraw

Bearcat
Well I might just display mine till it finds a home. :lol: If it's not possible to put on one of my Old Armies, hey wait, how queer would this look on a scoped 9.5 single six? :roll: :wink:

bluestraw

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":zrif2qxc said:
I got it. Now I gotta figure out what to do with it. Don't care for these on the large frames as they look to small proportionally. Gotta get either another 50th Ann BH or another Single Six as a base. Hmmmm....
Hey BlkHawk73,
Did you get yours yet? Seller told me he mailed mine out last week. Just got home from weekend vacation and no birdy? Hmmmm.......

Latest posts