Pic of short barreled .45 Colt BH w/ adjustable sights?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alukban

Bearcat
Anybody have pics of one? Please? :)

My eyes are getting old and I'm thinking of having higher visibility adjustable sights put on my short .45 Colt BH. I'm wondering if it'll look too dooofy...

contender

Ruger Guru
The Blackhawks come with adjustable sights. However they are all black. Many folks apply a bit of orange or day glo green to the face of the front sight blade to be able to see it better.

alukban

Bearcat
Sorry about that, I meant bird's head = BH (not Blackhawk)

Again, anybody have adjustable sights on one of these... :shock:

Photo_102707_010.jpg

Hombre

Bearcat
Howdy alukban
I'm confused about what you are inquiring about, what you have in the picture is a fixed sight Vaquero. Only Blackhawks have adjustable rear sights. I supose you could have a custom gunsmith install hi vis adjustable rear sights on your Vaq, but ya just as well get a Blackhawk instead. It would be much cheaper.

alukban

Bearcat
Yeah, sorry about that.

I meant to ask if anybody had high visibility adjustable sights on a short barreled "birds head" like I have pictured in my post above. Sorry for the confusion.

I guess I could just photoshop something together to see how it would look. The one I have pictured above does shoot very well but I'm having more and more trouble seeing that front sight in the u-notch these days.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
rugerbird2.jpg

This is a pic of a .45 Blackhawk I put a stainless birdshead grip on a while back. I thought it looked OK but took the birdshead grip back off because I didnt like how it fit my hand.

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
This one started life as a Birdshead but I switched that out for an aluminum gripframe to lighten it up.The high polish sights were very hard for me to see,especially in sunlight,plus they were off considerably from point of impact.

I had Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision install the S+W rear and his ramp front.Not a Birdshead but it is short barreled.
SheriffsModelVaquero035.jpg

deac45

Single-Sixer
Short Barrel, I never get tired of seeing that pic. That is one serious but classy looking piece of iron!

deac45

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
If you plan on installing adjustable sights you might try having the rear sight opened up a bit first. I think it gives a better sight picture but you could possibly lose some accuracy as the sight picture won't be quite as fine. But I would guess at the distance you are using your gun the accuracy would be just fine. I have shot a couple of Montado's with the rear sight opened up and it makes a world of difference in finding the front sight.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Hey Short Barrel! That pic of my Blackhawk above your gun is the birdshead gripframe you sold me. I believe thats the gun it came off of?

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Here is my Vaquero BH in 45 Colt, and an adjustable sight Single-Six I added a BH gripframe to if you want a (sort of) side-by-side comparison ---

Birdshead-Rugerpair.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
alukban":1yj51wqn said:
Anybody have pics of one? Please? :)

My eyes are getting old and I'm thinking of having higher visibility adjustable sights put on my short .45 Colt BH. I'm wondering if it'll look too dooofy...

I know what you mean about old eyes. You received lots of good ideas above. I remember old Skeeter Sleton saying that he could shoot long barreled guns better. Not because of the longer barrel but because of the longer sight radius. But I like short barrels so I widened the rear sight notch on both my target sighted Blackhawks and my fixed sighted Vaqueros. What an improvement in sight pictures! It's like I was looking thru the sights of my long barrelled guns. It had the added benefit on the fixed sight guns of allowing me to adjust the point of impact for windage on those that were a bit off.

I also put a white line down the center of the front post for a more precise sight picture. You could try those things first and if you still need improvement, than resort to adjustable sights. But you may still want to widen the notch in the rear sight blade a bit; it helps with short barrels.

Latest posts