Pheasant Hunting - Ruger Gold Label

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coop

Blackhawk
Took my Gold Label out pheasant hunting this AM at Hillman State Park. Got "skunked", along with four other shooters, with two dogs. And this is an area for public hunting that is stocked with pheasants by the PA Game Comission.

When I moved here in western PA from southern California in 1974, my property had "beaucoup" pheasants clucking constantly. Lost habitat and urban developement have allowed the pheasant population to decline here in western PA.

While my Gold Label has creamed hundreds of clay birds, it has yet to harvest a real bird. Nonetheless, next week I'll be out for fall turkey season, and one barrel will have a Full choke for turkey, and the other will have an IC for a possible pheasant.

Life is GOOD.

Coop

mattsbox99

Hunter
Bummer about that pheasant situation, but are certain you were staring at that beautiful gun the whole time? :)

You'll have to come out west to ND, SD, or MT to hunt pheasants so that GL can earn its right of passage.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I intend to have mine out for quail and woodcock very soon. Maybe even a fall turkey will make a mistake. I generally carry a light upland load, 1oz @ 1240 fps, but will have a few heavy ones in case of a turkey. Heavy loads are no fun with that light english stocked gun!

First shot at game with my GL killed a big upstate NY coyote. Second killed a big upstate NY rooster. Yesterday I got a double on CA chukars with it (and missed a bunch of quail before I put in the Skeet and IC tubes; then I got a couple....). Mine's pistol-gripped.

vol423

Bearcat
I hunted in Lancaster county last week. Two limits in two days for four of us. My German shorthair was in dog heaven! I took the other fellows along as they can't hit the broad side of a barn so I shot most of the birds. We all carried two each out though, and the Game Warden complimented us on our sportsmanship.